Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

The next night I slide my dress on at half past seven, lace my journal and a pen into the bodice, and look in the mirror.

If I weren't possibly going to my death tonight, I'd say I don't look half bad.

The dress is perfect, just like I wrote it to be, and I piled my hair on top of my head in a way that doesn't look too out of control. I'd done the best I could, and now it was time to fight. Hopefully I have it in me. If not...

I hated to think of the consequences.

"You ready to go, Dex?"

Dexter is already pacing by my door. I gave him a bath so he wouldn't be so smelly, and combed his fur. He cleans up really nice, actually. I'm glad I wrote you. The thought surprises me as I look at the silly mutt, and I slip on a pair of lace flats that match the color of my dress perfectly. No heels tonight. Not with what I have to do.

Dexter and I leave the house without a word.

When we reach the end of Applewood Court, Charles is already standing there in his best tux.

"Wow, you look really nice Dora," he tells me, then chances a look down at Dexter.

"You...brought your dog?" he asks, raising his eyebrows as Dex licks Charles' freshly polished shoes.

"Yeah," I say. "He doesn't like to be without me."

Then we start off down the hill.

I wish Rachelle were here. She and I always went to school dances together, joking about how we made better dates than any boy. Because we understood each other, knew that no matter how badly we danced or what our breath smelled like, we didn't care. We had each other.

Now...now I'm walking arm in arm with a stranger.

About to face her kidnapper.

"Here we are," Charles says, and we both look up at the Estate.

It looks even better than earlier, all lit up in the dark and shining. It reminds me of Jakob's storage room stars, the one bright thing on a dark street. We cross the curb together and head up the stairs, my heart hammering as we get closer to the front doors. I have my invitation ready in my hand, the paper rough between my fingers.

"Calm down Dora," Charles says. "Why are you so nervous? It's just a party."

I shiver in the night air. Of course it's just a party to you, Charles. You don't know that we're walking into the house of a madman who created our entire town to play murderous fun and games with. But I don't tell him that. I feel like telling Charles the truth about why we're here would get me in even more trouble than bringing him along.

"Good evening."

A pair of men greet us at the door, towels over their arms. I hand them my invitation and they usher us into the grand foyer with a flick of their wrists, but not before they stop Dexter in his tracks.

"No animals allowed," one of the doormen says.

Dexter whines as he's forced to stay behind. I try to reach back and scratch his head to tell him I'm sorry, but we're already being helped inside by the other doorman. Dexter will wait for me anyway, he always does. I try to shake his sad eyes out of my head and take in the scene around me.

At first I think that maybe I imagined the city that Jakob and I spent so much time in the last couple of days. This was exactly how I imagined the Grimm Estate to look on the inside, all posh carpets and draperies and lavish furniture. But then I remember who I'm dealing with and freeze. Wilhelm can write anything he wants, just like I wrote this dress. And he's far more advanced than I am.