Chapter 1: In Times of War

Author's note 4/28/2019:
Hey guys! It's been like 11 years since I wrote this fic so I just wanted to add a couple notes.
I originally wrote this in 2008 when I was 12 years old. It's not a great example of my writing and I've considered taking it down before, but a lot of people still read it to this day so here it is, in all its awkward glory. Thank you so much for reading, hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 1: In Times of War

Emexyinia Snape was standing on the platform at Hogwarts, waiting for the children to arrive. She was dressed in a long black dress, and held a lantern in her hand. A thestral stood next to her, its head very close to her shoulder. Her boyfriend Draco glanced at it occasionally: he had never seen one before.

“I promise it won’t hurt you,” Emma said to Draco, patting the thestral on its skeletal head.

“That doesn’t make it any less creepy,” Draco murmured.

Emma rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Of course I get the terrified boyfriend,” she said quietly.

“I'm not deaf, you know.”

“That’s a questionable statement,” Emma laughed.

The train could be heard in the distance. Emma handed her lantern to Draco and began to pace the platform. When the train stopped and the doors opened, a small cluster (small being smaller than the usual group, but still rather large) group of new students stepped onto the platform.

“First years with me,” she called, gathering them all and ushering them off to the side. These new students would not get to experience the fun of taking boats across the lake; they would take carriages, like the older students. Emma watched some of her old friends get off the train. She watched as Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood walked together, escorted by Neville Longbottom.

“Hello, Luna,” Emma called. Ginny tried to turn Luna away from Emma but Luna smiled back.

“Hello, Emma,” she said, smiling. “How are you?”

“I'm good,” Emma said, handing her lantern back to Draco. She and Luna embraced.

“If you have any problems at school this year, any at all, come to me,” Emma said.

“Of course. Your father is headmaster, is he not?”

“He is. If you have any problems with anyone, come talk to me,” Emma said.

“Thanks, Emma,” Luna smiled.

Ginny grabbed Luna by the arm.

“It’s best not to talk to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s followers, Luna,” Ginny said, glaring at Emma and Draco.

“Come on, children,” Emma said, turning back to the first years. They all huddled together, looking around at everyone. Emma went over to a carriage and began packing them in. She didn’t notice when Amycus Carrow, his wheezy giggle a herald of trouble, walked around to the front of the carriage.

“Alright,” Emma said, picking up a little girl and placing her in the carriage before slamming the door shut. “I will see all of you up at the castle.”

The thestrals went to take off but Amycus slapped one hard across the flank and the carriage jolted forward, resulting in one little girl falling out of the carriage. She hit the ground hard and began to cry.

“Shh, sweetheart,” Emma said, picking her up. She had dirt on her robes and pieces of leaf stuck in her hair. Emma dusted her off. “It’s alright. You're fine. Here, you go stand with my friend Draco for a few minutes, and then you can ride up to the castle with us.”