Twenty Days Until

I faintly remember closing the bathroom door, but the world was fuzzy and weird. Female voices carried over the stalls. A line had formed behind me for the cubicles, and I'd been lucky enough to duck inside.

Our plan had been to celebrate another successful year for the student council, and to herald the approaching Thanksgiving break. Bianca's plan was to bring us round to Tito's, where a 'Battle of the Bands' event was happening. It had seemed like a very good idea at the time. With the exclusion of myself, my team had earned their right to let their hair down.

Except now the earth wouldn't stop spinning. Underaged drinking was bad. Bianca ordering round after round of tequila shots was even worse.

There was only one person on my mind. I wrestled my phone from the pocket of the tightest jeans I owned. Folding the toilet lid down, I perched on the seat and braced my swaying weight against my knees.

(9:38pm) Louise: Heres the thing with yuo, HENry

(9:40pm) Henry: ??

(9:40pm) Henry: Oh Jesus, are you drunk?

(9:41pm) Henry: Why are you drunk? It's a school night!

(9:42pm) Louise: No im not and it's friday

(9:42pm) Henry: Where are you? Are you alone?

(9:43pm) Louise: I'm with Bianca

(9:43pm) Louise: in Bathroom

(9:45pm) Henry: You're with Bianca in the bathroom?

(9:45pm) Louise: NO

(9:46pm) Louise: I'm wiht bianca

(9:46pm) Louise: At tito's

(9:46pm) Louise: the bar

(9:47pm) Louise: and Im In the bathroom

(9:48pm) Henry: Need I remind you that you're not at the proper drinking age?

(9:48pm) Louise: Doesn't mattr

(9:50pm) Louise: We r sitting near where you were sitting when you hugged me and i never wanted you to letgo. Do yo u remember?

(9:52pm) Henry: Rest assured, I remember

(9:53pm) Henry: Though I, for one, am very concerned

(9:53pm) Henry: I hate pulling rank more than anything – especially with you – but I don't think this is a good idea. Are you trying to drown your grief over General Puss?

(9:54pm) Louise: no

(9:54pm) Louise: NO

(9:54pm) Henry: ...

(9:55pm) Henry: So your answer is no, I take it?

(9:56pm) Louise: Okay maybe yes

(9:57pm) Henry: It's been a very long week. I can understand. But I don't think underage drinking is the answer to your woes

(9:58pm) Louise: What is?? what can I do to stop feeling this way?

(9:59pm) Henry: Louise.

(9:59pm) Louise: Henry.

(10:00pm) Louise: See? I can be serious and tough tooo

(10:02pm) Henry: Are you making fun of me? What's brought this on?