Chapter 1

Khushi went a few paces back and forth in front of the full length mirror in her small apartment with practiced gait and gave herself a thorough appraisal. She was wearing a transparent saree in ivory tulle embellished with self floral hand embroidery details. The matching blouse was modest, made with the same fabric and had a high closed neckline and full sleeves. With barely any skin showing, the transparent material revealed and hid just enough to make it fashionable and yet an appropriate attire for an engagement. Honestly, she hadn't wanted something so expensive nor could she have afforded it with her salary but it had been a gift and she had had no option but to accept it, committed as she was to someone who mastered the art of persuasion.

She reddened, the natural color adding to her allure. She was wearing very little make up, finishing the look off with kajal, a touch of mascara and a light pink lipstick. She did not much like makeup unless it was an absolute necessity and liked going natural most of the time. A pair of faux diamond earrings and a matching necklace adorned her ear and neck respectively. Neatly brushed hair, tied only with a clip at the center was the only thing holding her tresses together as they cascaded freely down her back. Stone studded silver stilettos graced her feet and the entire ensemble provided her with an air of sheer elegance.

After one last look at her image in the mirror, her dark amber eyes brimmed with undiminished enthusiasm as she glanced up to look at the clock. She had to leave now if she wanted to be there for the function. Traffic at this time was too much. She quickly grabbed the matching clutch she was going to carry today and filled it with a few necessities, picked her phone up to call the Uber driver as she took her keys and walked out of her apartment carefully locking it behind her.

"Arnav!"Anjali poked her head into his room, mumbling to herself about how difficult it was to manage the people of that house. "What are you still doing here with your laptop?" She entered the room fully and said, "And you are not even ready yet!"

Arnav tore his gaze away from the laptop. "What do you think I'm doing, di? I just had this little something to take care of before I got busy at the function. I have to send it to the editorial team or this job would be pending."

She scoffed. "Oh, I have heard this before. You always have something. If you do not close the laptop this instant and get ready..." she warned in as condemning a voice as she could and stopped. Her brother did not do well with ultimatums. Her voice then softened and took on a tone perfected to emotionally blackmail the person on the receiving end as she said, "Your brother is getting engaged. Your brother! He's getting ready in the other room all alone while you... Chotey, common you could be more involved."

Arnav sighed and rolled his eyes. He was not a fan of this traditional circus. But he did love his family. He smiled a little at his sister. She couldn't be stern even if she wanted to. She just didn't have it in her. And there's no way anyone can deny her anything when she talked as she just did.

"Fine. You go. I'll be there with Akash in ten minutes."

Anjali beamed at him. "Okay. Will you also wear–"

"Don't push it, di." he interrupted.

"Alright. Alright." She said putting her hands up in a motion that said she gave up. He never wore anything even remotely ethnic and she never stopped trying.

"I don't know when the day will come when I'll get to get ready for your wedding," she sighed wistfully.

Arnav rolled his eyes again and said, "Don't start with the when-you-fall-in-love-clouds-burst-flowers-smile-breath-stops speech, please. I'm not interested in hearing it and I'm sure it isn't anythingI haven't heard before."

Anjali shot him an irritated glance. "Well, it's true, and one day you will come to me and tell me how everything I said was true and that you were a fool to ridicule me at the time."