Chapter 5. Les Be Honest

I was awoken bright and early the very next day when the doorbell to my apartment buzzed. On the bedside table, the alarm clock read 8 am. “Who in the world could that be?” I muttered under my breath as I pulled the blanket over my head. The doorbell rang a second time, making me groan loudly. It’s only days away from school for Pete’s sake. Let me sleep in.

“Hello,” came Tahti’s muffled voice, coming from the living room area where the front door was located. Wait. Was she talking to someone? I strained my ears, trying to detect if I was right.

“Where should I put these miss?” a man said. Dang! She was definitely talking to a stranger.

Shoving the blanket aside, I got out of bed, walking hastily to the living room. There in the middle was a guy, holding several square boxes in his hands, covering his face. Tahti was near the open door, giving instructions. “Please place it on the coffee table,” she said politely. The man obliged, carefully stacking the boxes on my brown table.

“What is going on?” I asked as I placed my hands on my hips.

The man tipped his cap in greeting. “Good morning ma’am. I’m just making my deliveries.” He pulled a clipboard from his bag, handing it to Tahti. “Now if you please sign over here and here, then I can be on my way.”

Tahti gave me a puzzled look. I nearly forgot that she didn’t have a proper identification yet. “Let me sign that instead,” I interjected, taking the clipboard from her hand. After signing everything, the delivery guy bid his farewell, disappearing behind the door before I closed it shut and locked it.

“Tahti, explain this to me.” I gave her a scolding stare. Gosh. This alien was going to kill me one of these days.

Instead of answering me directly, she walked gracefully to the table, kneeling before the boxes. She took one, opened the parcel, and showed the content to me after getting it out of its package. “That’s a tablet,” I said in surprise. “Where did you get that? We got back late last night. How in the world were you able to buy a tablet?”

“I bought it from the internet,” she explained with a straight face, as if it was a no-brainer. “I had to pay extra for the speedy delivery, plus talk to some people over the phone. But as humans would say, it was worth it.” She began to tear the packaging from the other boxes, while I just stood there, totally stunned, yet amused at the same time. “By the way, I used your phone Alena.”

“Go figure,” I muttered. “And how did you unlock it? I had a complicated password. I bet you used your crazy alien technology.”

“Oh this?” Tahti grabbed my phone from the white sofa behind her. She showed the screen to me, tracing a pattern that looked very much like the password that I placed for privacy. When the phone was unlocked, she tossed it to me.

“How did you do that?” I asked.

“If you look carefully at the pattern you placed yourself, you’ll see that it’s exactly the shape of the symbol on our forehead.” Tahti pointed to me.