33. Thank Goodness It's Friday

"I was never insane
 except upon occasions
 when
 my heart
 was touched."

~ Edgar Allen Poe

Gretchen Williams raised an eyebrow as she eyed the girl who was peering into her boss' office

Ace Hardwood wasn't a man who tolerated insubordination, especially from his employees, but over the past many weeks, she had come to learn that there might be an exception. Scarlett Ambrose seemed to get away with a multitude of sins.

As the young girl poked her head into Ace's office, Gretchen couldn't help, but shake her head with a little smile.

"Come in, Ambrose," she heard Ace tell the girl through the door that Scarlett had opened, "You look like you're just about bursting at the seams."

Scarlett had graduated from hesitantly knocking on Ace's door and waiting for a reply to simply poking her head in until he noticed. As Scarlett walked in, Gretchen wondered what the next step would be.

Scarlett smiled like she had a secret as she entered Ace's office.

He, as usual, was reading through some documents. The office was filled with the sounds of soft jazz, just the thing Ace needed to be deep in thought. His gaze raised to Scarlett as she approached.

"Why do you look like you have something up your sleeve, Ambrose?" he asked, turning a page of his document.

"Because maybe I do," she replied, smiling broadly, "You're playing jazz today."

Ace nodded, looking down at his papers. "As I do sometimes."

"Does it help you think?"

Ace nodded again. "Very much."

Scarlett walked forward and leaned forward against the table. "I found something," she said, her voice filled with soft excitement.

Ace closed his eyes and smiled a very small smile. "You're not going to let me work until I hear this, are you, Ambrose?" He opened his eyes to see her shaking her head, still wearing that smile of hers.

"Alright," he closed the file and tossed it on to his large desk and leaned back in his chair, "Tell me, Ambrose. What has you so excited?"

"I found something I think you'll really like," she said.

Ace nodded. "What is it?"

Scarlett pointed to the stereo system that sat in a corner that was currently playing mellow jazz. "May I?"

He nodded.

She walked over to the system and stopped the music that was playing, plunging the room into silence. After fiddling around for a few moments, she turned, beaming to look at Ace.

As he waited and listened, the soft sounds of a crackling fire trickled into the room, mixing in with the sultry sounds of smooth saxophone-centered jazz. His ears perked up as the relaxing sounds touched his ears and he couldn't help, but smile.