47

The burial grounds resided down inside a hill. The round itself sloped down into a lake well beyond the tree lining. With Ash's injured leg, that still hadn't healed all that well, it took us the rest of the day to successfully find a car parked by a hiking trail. What was left of the day we used to drive to Bright Moon. With the change amount of sunlight that was left we used to our advantage to actually find the burial grounds that were now doused with the shadows casting off the trees from the now setting sun.

"I can't believe we have to go down there..." Ash grumbled as we both gazed down into the dark stone entrance.

"Ya, it sure isn't ideal..." I responded as I began to inspect the stones as if by looking at them I would be able to tell how decayed they really were.

"And who's to say they're even down there..." I glanced back at Ash and narrowed my eyes at her. She raised her hands in defense.

"Hey! I'm just saying! How the hell are we even going to find a pile of witch bone in a cave full of bones?" I pinched my lips together as I mused over this idea.

"You have a point, but my parents definitely wouldn't be able to just open any old grave room." Ash crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. She never liked the "proper" wording that we were required to use when referring to the burial grounds. She always liked the idea of the grounds being more similar to an ancient Egyptian pyramid.

"You and I both know that the rooms down there are more like tombs in a mummy movie than anything else. 100 bucks say that the place is booby-trapped." Ash commented as she kicked a rock down into the ruins. We both listened to it echo as it knocked against the walls.

"Oh, I see so you'll watch a mummy movie, but Goddess forbid you actually watch a rom-com so you know not to salute at guys that flirt with you at bars?"

"Shut up and let's just get this over with, what were you saying that your parents couldn't just open any old tomb?" I sighed and shook my head, but answered Ash anyways.

"Well the graves of Alphas and Lunas are seeled off, no one can open those. And fallen warriors have their own section... I think my parents would put the bones in the unmarked grave section. It's easy to access because it has to be. If someone were to ever come and claim them. It would make it easy for my parents to grab them or hide them again if anything were to happen."

"Alright, so where is the unmarked bone room?"

"Ash we both took the same history class you should know this."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't think learning which room bones were being stored in, inside an old underground graveyard that no one ever goes into would ever come in handy....my mistake." I rolled my eyes and took the first step down into the burial grounds.

"They're on the "top" floor" in the back, more important bones are buried in lower levels. It makes it harder for anyone to rob the graves." Ash followed in my footsteps as we both slowly walked into the underground cave.

"You know what would also make it harder for people to rob the graves of past Alphas and Lunas? Booby-traps."

"Ash-"

"Fine, okay! I'll stop, but the moment an arrow shoots out and hits you I'm not going to stop myself from saying "I told you so." We had been walking in a straight path for a while and found nothing but darkness and rocks. The hallway we were in never split off into another room nor did it lead to a different floor. Even though we had never turned if felt as if we were walking in circles.

"This is taking forever," Ash wined as she shuffled along behind me, "shouldn't we have been there by now?" I honestly didn't know how far we had come or how long it would take to get there. We had studied the burial grounds in class when we were 14 or 15 so it had been a while. The Bright Moon pack didn't even use these burial grounds anymore for years. We hadn't been involved in any wars. The only time these were used was for when and Alpha or Luna died, which was rare.