-35- 🌹 What Love Is

^ This is who I picture as Joan, by the way (except she has a crescent mark on her forehead)

"I swear I've seen an angel, a paradise in blue, every color I choose. But I don't know what love is, but I think it might be you."
~Lady Gaga, 'I Don't Know What Love Is'

~~~

*Ryland's POV*

Landon gazes down at me with watery blue eyes, his hair slightly damp. He says nothing, wiping away my tears with the pads of his thumbs.

My mouth hangs open as I stammer, trying to figure out the hell I should say. Before I can decide on how to bring up what happened earlier, Landon leans down and presses his lips to mine.

I freeze, eyes wide with shock as Landon moves his lips slowly against mine. What the hell is happening? Is this a good kiss, or... a goodbye kiss?

His tongue licks along the tight seam of my lips, asking for entrance that I'm too frozen to grant. He growls in frustration, biting my bottom lip and making me gasp. Taking the opportunity, he slides his tongue into my mouth, cupping my face gently with his warm hands.

My eyes water with tears, unsure how I should be feeling about this kiss. Does this mean he's not leaving me? Landon deepens the kiss, making me moan as rational thought starts to fly out the window. Squeezing my eyes shut, I bury my fingers in the tresses of his golden locks and finally kiss him back. Landon groans in satisfaction as our tongues actively dance together; our hot breath mingling.

So many questions run through my mind, but all of it is white-noise in the background as Landon kisses me like his life depends on it. I don't even realize I had started crying again until Landon breaks the kiss, gently wiping away my tears.

"Landon—"

"I love you."

My eyes drop to my lap as more tears force their way forward, and I shake my head. "You don't have to do that," I whisper dejectedly.

"I'm not just saying it," Landon insists kneeling between my legs. He rests his hands on my thighs, squeezing comfortingly. "I'm in love with you, Ryland."

I raise my eyes back to his blue ones, searching for any sign that he's lying to me. But all the previous fear and unease has completely vanished from his eyes; replaced with an astounding assuredness that makes my heart jump into my throat.

"I'm sorry I ran away," Landon apologizes sadly. "I shouldn't have done that. You've been more than patient with me, always putting my needs before your own, and I didn't return the favor. At the moment you needed me most, I ran from you. I'm so sorry, honeybee. I hope you can forgive me."

I blink dumbly at him, not comprehending much of what he said after 'I'm in love with you'.

"You love me?" I whimper, timidly holding onto his arms.

He nods. "I do."

"Y-You mean it?" I sniffle, clutching his arms tighter as I pull myself closer to him. "You really l-love me?"

The smile he gives me sends my heart into overdrive as he leans in, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I love you, Ryland Ambrose," Landon professes confidently. "I think I've loved you for a while, but I was too afraid to admit it. I was hurt and scared. I lost Easton, and I'm scared of losing you too. But then I went and pushed you away, which I am so sorry for. I promise that I won't push you away again. Even if it's scary from time to time, we'll figure it out together. Because that's what love is. I'm all in, honeybee."