The Very Beginning (Part 1)

The Very Beginning

Prologue (Part 1)

...

Queen Isabella grabbed her husband's hand in a tight grip, "Ferdinand!" She said as a sharp pain erupted in her abdomen. "The baby."

The king yelled for the maids and in a spur of chaos the queen was moved to her bed. She kept her hand tight in King Ferdinand's. Her screams filled the palace as the young princesa was brought into the world. "Give her to me." The queen said in such rapid Spanish it took the maids several moments to understand her. The child did not cry or make a sound as she was passed to the queen. The queen gazed down at her daughter, her face streaked with tears and her curly black hair flew in each direction. The baby's grey eyes looked deep into her mother's brown ones.

"Ay que linda." The queen whispered and planted a kiss on top of the black haired child. "My Isabelle-Amora," the queen said adoringly. The baby's eyes widened as she heard the whisper of her own name. The queen's eyes rose to meet her husband's. Both in awe of their child. And for that single moment, no one noticed the flash of lightning in the small child's eyes.

Over the next couple years the young princess seemed to capture each and every person's heart. The charming child was irresistible. And yet even her parents could not deny she had a mysterious magical aura she cast around herself. The young girl's crooked grin could melt any heart of stone. She was enchanting in a way that her own parents became afraid of her abilities that seemed to magnify in certain happenings. Like when the cook wouldn't let her enter the kitchen on her fifth birthday, she stormed up to her room and when she opened her door, there was the kitchen in place of her room. And when her cousin came to visit, she loved his company so much that when they went to leave they kept coming back like the roads only led to the palace. Over time, rumors spread throughout the country about the princess who could do things others couldn't.

Soon enough, the spoiled child who could brighten a room with her childish giggle quickly became a quiet girl shut up in her room to keep away from prying eyes. The ghost of her laughter danced throughout the halls but she herself was locked away in her room, only allowed out for meals. Her parents always kept their distance and after years of excuses of their absence in her life, she had given up. The hall dedicated to the portraits of Princess Isabelle-Amora had suffered from a layer of dust and was only occupied once a year in which a new portrait was painted of the princess. It was this day that was her favorite. She was allowed to roam the castle a whole day, aside from the five hours of sitting still for the artist. This treat wasn't allowed even on her birthday. The day that we dreaded every year when her parents felt like they needed to try and spend a bit of time with her when she just wanted to be left alone. It was their attempts to act like they loved her disgusted her and made her despise them even more. But on her seventeenth birthday, she was in for the worst birthday of her life.

It all started with the early rapping noise on her door. Isabelle-Amora awoke with a start, her long, curly black hair flying in every direction. Her grey eyes widened in surprise at the eight maids who rushed in with a large boxes and dress holders. The last maid happened to be the head maid, Juana. "You, you, and you." She pointed to three of the younger maids go fetch water and ready the princess's bath."

The plump woman turned towards the princess and jumped several inches in the hair. "Goodness, child, you look like you've had a nightmare." Juana rushed to Isabelle-Amora and helped her out of bed.

The princess laughed nervously. "Juana, what is happening?"

"A nightmare, I believe." Juana whispered under her breath.

"What?" The princess demanded.

"Oh the queen has a surprise for you. And before you ask, I can't tell you. It's her word over yours." Juana added when she saw the angry look the princess gave her. She hated surprises because they brought her hopes up only to have them crash down around her.