Prologue: Part II

I fidgeted with the cover surrounding my waist, unable to give in to sleep. Nervousness or excitement; I couldn't exactly pinpoint what was keeping me awake.

Gazing at the ceiling, I imagined who would be on my team. Whoever they are would help shape the rest of my life, so it was a really big deal.

A thought popped into my head. Who was going to be my sensei? I hadn't even thought about that yet!

Recognizing I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, I kicked the blanket off and brought myself into a vertical sitting position.

Resting my elbows on my knees, I rubbed my eyes in frustration. Of all nights to become an insomniac.

Letting out a growl of discontent I leapt to my feet and walked towards the window.

My gaze rested upon the full moon. The clear, crisp night air slightly calmed my racing thoughts, but not to the point where sleep would come easily.

Deciding to take a walk, I nimbly climbed out the window knowing a house full of ninjas could wake at any moment.

Bare feet touched the soft dirt, cooling my unnaturally warm body. Rolling my shoulders back, I began my departure of the Uchiha Compound.

Just as I was about to escape the edges of my house, I head the sound of my father raising his voice. Suddenly curious as to what instigated such a reaction from my usually stoic father, I crept towards the voices.

"-unrest in the clan isn't going away. Am I supposed to just do nothing?"

I felt myself still at the familiar sound of my brother, Itachi. The topic of their conversation peaked my interest, so I inched forward to hear their voices better.

"Yes, Itachi, that is precisely what you must do. Nothing! This clan does not need any more internal conflict, especially coming from you."

Wait, what? I mean, I'm not an idiot. I've noticed the odd arguments and the feeling of discontent permeating throughout the clan, but what does that have to do with Itachi? My mind whirled with all of the questions suddenly bombarding my brain.

Deciding I needed to clear my head and escape the conversation before I got caught, I took a step back. A loud snapping sound made me flinch as I cursed my luck. I'm a ninja for crying out loud, I'm supposed to be good at this stealth thing.

"Who was that?" my father whispered along with some other words I would rather not repeat.

I whirled around and jumped to the nearest tree branch. As I ran, I looked behind me to see if anyone was pursuing. Suddenly, I ran into what felt like a brick wall. I slipped from the tree branch I had landed on, clutching my nose in agony.

"Ouch, ow! Man that hurt- holy fudge balls, I falling!" I screamed, as I flailed my arms in terror. I jumped in surprise as a pair of hands quickly grasped my upper arms, stopping the fall that could have ended my life prematurely.

"I expected more from you, dearest little sister," taunted a voice I knew all too well.

"Itachi, you bastard! You practically broke my nose and killed me in the process!" I shrieked, still trying to calm my racing heart. I slammed my fist into his chest out of frustration, and I felt him chuckle from beneath my palm.

"Calm down, we both know you would have recovered before that fall did any kind of damage," he said. I simply stuck my tongue out at him in response, too overwhelmed to formulate a witty response and knowing that he was right.

"Anyways, what were you doing eavesdropping back there? That conversation was none of your concern."

Now steady on the tree branch, I crossed my arms in discontent and scrunched my face in anger, cocking my hip for good measure.