Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)

Summary: This is a song written by the three Duke cousins and sung at Aunt Martha's funeral when Bo was ten, Daisy was eleven and a half, and Luke was thirteen. It's become a tradition in the family to sing it during times of sadness and depression, times like funerals, for example, or any other time they start feeling like they've lost hope. The song reminds them they aren't alone, they have each other and their God to keep going. This is the story of how one cousin sings this in a foreign country and seven months later two cousins sing this at a funeral that turns out to not be a funeral. To learn the rest, you must read to find out.

A/N: Wow that was unnecessarily dramatic. I hope you enjoy!

Luke sat a little ways away from where the rest of his men were huddled around the campfire. He studied the faces of his brothers-in-arms, seeing the weariness, the soreness, the loss of hope. One of them, a man named Noah Bradford, had gotten out a six-string guitar and was plucking a few tunes. Luke recognized some of them, but not all. They were all supposed to be happy and upbeat songs, but they were played too slowly to be of much cheer.

Luke remembered a song he and Bo and Daisy had written years ago, when Aunt Martha died. He and Bo would play the chords on the guitar while Daisy sang. Looking back on the times they'd played that song, dark times of sadness, Luke got to his feet and joined his men by the fire.

His men were slightly surprised since Luke tended to distance himself when he was down, but gladly made room to silently welcome him. Luke sat and listened quietly with the rest of the guys, but didn't sing along.

When Noah finished the next song, Luke got up and walked over to sit next to him. "Can I see that?" he asked, holding out a hand for the instrument. Noah nodded and handed it over, surprise showing plainly on his face. Luke had never participated in anything musical, so why would he now? But he apparently could play the guitar.

Luke strummed the strings a few times before taking a deep breath and starting in on the familiar chords. He played through them once before beginning to sing softly.

"You call me out upon the waters...the great unknown...where feet may fail...And here I find You in the mystery...in oceans deep...my faith will stand."

Luke closed his eyes as he sang the chorus, his voice filled with emotion. "And I will call upon Your name...and keep my eyes above the waves...When oceans rise, my soul will rest in Your embrace...for I am Yours...and You are mine."

Luke opened his eyes as he changed chords after the chorus, noticing the expressions on the faces of the men around him. Some looked stunned, some looked entranced, some looked at peace, and some looked even sadder than before. Luke hoped he was managing to lift their spirits, or at least comfort them a little.

He took a deep breath and started in on the next verse. "Your grace abounds in deepest waters...Your sovereign hand...will be my guide...Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me...You've never failed...and You won't start now..." Luke tipped his head back and closed his eyes as he began the chorus. His voice grew louder and a couple of his men joined in softly. "So I will call upon Your name...and keep my eyes above the waves...When oceans rise, my soul will rest in Your embrace...for I am Yours...and You are mine, oh o-o-oh..."

He let his head come back down to a normal position but left his eyes shut as he began the bridge. His volume dropped, both the volume of the guitar and his voice as he started the soft, delicate melody.

"Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders...Let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me...Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander...and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior." Luke strummed harder as he repeated the bridge. "Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders...Let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me...Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander...and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior." Luke's voice rose in intensity as he sang the bridge for the final time, fighting against the emotion that threatened to clog his throat. "Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders...Let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me...Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander...and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior!"