fourteen

Elle McBriar
May 5th, 1 year and 162 days since the first zombie report

Paxton and I headed downstairs as the word 'lunch' was screamed aggressively up the stairs.

I had Paxton's shirt over my body with a pair of shirts. And he was looking quiet delicious with his sweatpants and a simple silver necklace with no shirt.

"You're never allowed to wear a shirt again." I smirked, pushing the kitchen door open. He laughed, "Fine by me."

Penny greeted me with a wiggle of her eyebrows as I looked at her with confusion.

"Woah, dude, did you get attacked by a fucking cougar?" Alex laughed, "What in Gods tarnation are you talking about?"

"You're back dude. It's all scratched up-"

I snorted and gave Megan a look who was feeding the baby and smirking at him.

"Yeah that was me." I confessed. Alex's eyes widened as he stared between me and Paxton, "Dang girl. I'd hate to get on your bad side." He mumbled.

I took a bite into the homemade bread Penny had attempted to make and my face automatically squished up.

"It's bad isn't it? Dammit. I found this recipe book in the supermarket and I really thought it would work." She growled.

"No it's fine. But it's really salty." I cough, stealing Paxton's orange juice. "Oh. Okay then." She smiled.

Sometimes I really craved Chick-Fil-A or Taco Bell. But on the other hand, all this having to cook healthy food and not eating a lot has gotten my quite skinny.

And all the moving around as me tone. I finally feel happy with my body.

Aside from the thousands of scars that painted my skin.

As we sat around the kitchen table eating and talking, Riley came in and sat down next to me. Not saying a word.

"You okay bud?" Alex asked, sliding a plate of salad in front of him, "Bored." He sighed, stuffing a tomato into his mouth.

"We can go for a drive later? I need to get some more supplies to plant a vegetable garden so if it's okay with Alex, you can come with me." I smiled.

Riley's eyes lit up as he looked at his brother, pleading. Alex looked at me and then shrugged, "Sure, whatever."

Riley high-fived me as he excitedly ate his lunch.

As I got ready to go out, my fingers felt the outline of the gun that was strapped to the inside of my jeans.

"You're going to be safe out there right?" I heard a voice. I turned around and saw Alex.

He was leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pocket.

"Of course I'll be safe. I always am." I say. He sighs, "I know. I just worry, you know. He's my little brother. I have to look out for him."

"If you're so worried, why don't you come with us?" I ask him, "I would. But I think Riles wants some alone time with his favorite Aunt."

I scoff, "Yeah right."

"It's true, you're his favorite."

I brushed it off but deep down I felt severely loved.

"Okay. Be safe, radio if you need anything. Anything at all. You know the drill." Paxton held onto my arms a little tight.

Alex was clipping Riley into the back seat.

"We'll be fine, Pax. You need to stop worrying, okay?" I smile. He smiles back but I can still see the worry in his eyes.

"Okay. Drive safely."

I get in the car and wave off to them as I reverse out of the driveway.

I haven't been on my own in a while. The guys always insist on coming with me.

But I have to do this. I have to get over my fear of being alone.

"So little man, you excited?" I ask, looking into the backseat. Riley is kicking his feet excitedly, "Hell yeah!" He swears.

I blink, "Where'd you learn that colorful language?" I chuckle nervously, "I heard Alex say it in the kitchen when he dropped a plate on the ground."

I smile, "Okay, well be careful talking like that around Alex. She'll get angry." I said.

As I was driving, I got a tiny tingly feeling in my fingertips. I tended my hand, stretching it out and it went away.

But it wasn't the tingles that concerned me, it was the fact that it hurt. It made me nervous. So either my fingers were warning me that I was having a stroke or I'm about to have a bad feeling.

* * *

40 minutes later I was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, my eyes on the rear view mirror.

Suddenly, Riley screamed. I jumped in my seat and whipped me head round, "What? What is it?" I yelled, looking at my surroundings.

"There was a person. But they're gone now." Riley shrugged, forgetting about it.

A person? "Are you sure it wasn't a shadow?" I asked. He shrugged again, "I don't know. It looked like a person."

I turned out of the lane, heading back into the main road that would lead us home.

I kept looking back at Riley who was gazing out the window.

I was a little paranoid now. If he saw a person like he said, does that mean they're back? Tracy and the others?

I blinked once, and then twice before screeching on the brakes. My body jolting forward at the force of the impact.

"Aunty Elle." Riley whined, "Sorry honey. I just have to check something out. Stay in the car. Do not get out, do you understand?"

He nodded his head.

I opened the door, my shoes scraping against the tiny pebbles. I even locked it for safe measure.

I've been down this road a hundred times since we've lived here and not once have I seen a thing like this.

It happened back in New York and in Los Angeles, but I didn't think it would happen here. Not after I killed Sophia and we stopped the zombies.

My breathing was shallow as I picked up the radio from my pocket.

I clicked the on button, static electricity crackling through, "Elle? You radioed?" Alex's voice came through.

I swallowed my breath and opened my mouth. A shaky breath came out, "We've got a code blue, Alex. I'm on my way home."

* * *

hiii
what do you think a code blue is??

id love to hear your ideas!!