Ch 28 - The Silent Deal

CHAPTER 28

THE SILENT DEAL

The girls watched the boys, waiting to see what they would do.

Romulus stepped forward first, tightly flanked by his blood brother, and laid eyes on the old pages. “I’ve waited my whole life to understand this …”

Viktor’s voice shook: “To me, this year felt like forever.”

“What does it say?” Evenova spouted, unable to keep her peace.

Romulus took the torch from Viktor. “You should read it to us. I don’t want to chance messing up any of the words.”

Viktor sucked in air, composing himself as best he could. Then he leaned over the parchment on the stone pedestal and read aloud:

“‘This confidential agreement hence referred to as the “Silent Deal” is entered into this 26th day of December in the year 1825 between the people of Aryk and the Leopard, with Master Molotov as draftee and Captain Ulfrik as witness of signatures.’”

“Then Molotov did write this,” Romulus said. “But why would the people ever agree to make a deal with the Leopard fifteen years ago?”

“Keep going, Viktor,” Charlotta said.

“‘The day prior to this contract, on the night of the 25th of December, a rebellion was attempted in Aryk against the Leopard by the group that calls themselves the ‘Cards’ (whose members carry playing cards to identify one another). On the same night, the Leopard crushed the rebellion by ordering his remaining faithful Masqueraiders to seize all children (under the age of three) of suspected members of the Cards and’”—Viktor paused—“‘and cast them under Aryk’s frozen river!’”

Evenova cried out, flinging her hand over her mouth.

Tears filled Charlotta’s eyes. “He murdered infants?”

“That’s why people think the river is haunted,” said Viktor, horrified. “Children died there—mass numbers of them … dumped just like the boxer on the ice. That’s why there are no children in this town. Half our generation was wiped out when we were born!”

Romulus swallowed. “But who are these ‘Cards’—former Masqueraiders?”

“And if they rebelled, how do none of us know about it?” Evenova asked. “How don’t our parents know?”

“Maybe they do,” Charlotta said. “Keep reading, Viktor.”

“‘Many deaths transpired (including Masqueraiders, suspected members of the Cards, and children of the said Cards) and those confirmed have been respectively recorded (see Appendixes I, II, III).’”

Evenova’s green eyes flashed. “Go to the appendixes. Who did they kill?”

“Not yet! In time,” said Romulus.

Viktor cleared his throat. “‘In an effort to restore peace to Aryk, this Silent Deal contract presents four laws that, when broken, bear the punishment of death by hanging. By signing this agreement, each individual agrees to the following laws:’

“‘1. PLAYING CARDS. All playing cards (namely those of R.E. Kamdrac’s making that were typical of members of the Cards) are to be surrendered to Master Molotov. Personal possession of such cards or aiding others with such cards is strictly forbidden.’

“‘2. GRAFFITI. Adding to, covering, or erasing the street graffiti (which members of the Cards used to distribute information and intimidate authority prior to the rebellion) is strictly forbidden. The graffiti is to remain in its current state indefinitely as a reminder to all citizens of the permanent laws of this Silent Deal.’”