1. Skylar's POV

When I woke up, I was in a white hospital room. It was quiet, aside from the machines from which wires were hooked up to my feeble body, and my entire body was in pain. But that pain was nothing compared to how I felt.

Jack...

Alex...!

I immediately sat up, my body ached and screamed at me to take it easy but I couldn't. I needed to know how Alex was, how Jack was.

I tried pressing myself up, only for an unbearable pain to strike my right arm. I yelled out in pain, letting my body drop back onto the bed as the pain consumed my entire existence. It didn't matter how much everything hurt, I needed to get up and check on my bestfriend and the love of my life. I took deep breaths, trying to ease the pain and as I did, Zack and Rian came rushing into the room along with a doctor and a police officer.

"Sky!!" Rian shouted, a look of relief across his features as he ran over to me.

"You're okay." Zack mumbled, following behind Rian.

They tried hugging me, only for me to back away. "Where are Jack and Alex?"

Rian's face fell, taking a complete turn from his previous expression and Zack just looked at the ground, trying to occult his face from me.

"Where are they!?" I shouted, looking between them and the officer.

The way they were acting... it only meant bad news. It couldn't be true. No, I didn't even want to assume... I couldn't assume. All I wanted was some sort of assurance that they were okay. But they weren't giving it to me. I felt hot tears fall from my eyes and rush down my cheecks as I continued staring at them.

"Please..." I pleaded.

The doctor, finally making himself usefull, stepped forward, lament and pity written all over his face.

"Miss, you have a broken arm, some very deep facial wounds and--"

"I don't care about me, tell me how Jack and Alex are!"

The officer stepped in front of him and glared at me. "Calm down." he instructed, making unnecessary gestures at me.

The doctor sighed and looked down at his clip board. "I'm sorry, that's all the information I'm allowed to give to you. Excuse me." He slowly left the room, leaving me with the same question.

I turned back around and stared at Zack, who seemed more vulnerable. "Zack..." I whispered.

He didn't look up, he remained still, unfased by me.

"...please tell me."

He sighed as he finally brought his head up, yet he didn't make eye contact with me. "Jack is fine, he uh... he has some pretty deep wounds, two broken ribs and a minor concussion. He's unconscious but the doctor says he'll be okay."

"And Alex?" my voice was soft and quiet, like a light breeze. "Zack, tell me how he is."

He slammed his fists against the board of the bed, taking me by surprise, and looked down again as tears began to fall from his eyes. "I can't!"

I too began to weep harder than before as I saw his reaction. What I had seen, the car being set on fire to hurt Alex... was it real?

"Miss, I'm Officer Dan, I'm in charge of this case. If you could please tell me what you recall of the accident."

I shook my head as I struggled to speak over my tears. "I don't know..."

"Sky, it's just to fill in... paperwork." Rian whispered, looking directly at me but there was something off about his eyes... they no longer sparkled.

"Paperwork? For what?" I mumbled.

Officer Dan smiled, though it was fake and most likely forced. "Tell me what you remember, and I'll tell you what you want to know."

I took a deep breath and sighed as I tried to put into words what I had seen. "It was a truck... a black truck. It ran the light. But the driver... he set the car on fire. He pulled Jack and I out then set the car on fire."

Officer Dan laughed a wicked, hysterical laugh that frightened me.

Zack and Rian stared at him with no expressions.

"No. The investigation shows you wrecked on your own. Your car spun out of control, crashing the passenger side of the car against the street light. There was no other vehicle at the time of the incident and the car caught fire on it's on, the fuel tank."

I furrowed my eyebrows together. "What? No! That's not what happened!" I turned around, looking for comfort from my friends. "Rian! Zack! You believe me, right?"

They sighed and looked away, avoiding to answer. They didn't believe me.

Officer Dan gave a maniac's grin as he stared at me. "The report's been done. You hit your head hard, we thought you'd be in a coma. I'll have the doctor check on you. It seems you're having hallucinations."

Hallucinations? I knew what I had seen, what I had lived. Jack could back me up! Alex could back me up! They just needed to wake up. They thought I was crazy... I knew what had really happened.

I watched Dan through tear stained eyes as he retreated towards the door.

"Oh, one more thing. Mr Alex Gaskarth... deceased, died at the scene." And with that, he walked out.

I remained unmoved, sitting on that white hospital bed as the world around me ended. There was no need to cry out loud. There was no need to deny what I had heard. As long as I did those things, my life went on. And I didn't want that. A life without Alex... after everything we went through for our love... he was gone. A single tear drop fell from my eyes as I felt the tight embrace of Zack and Rian trying to comfort me.
They had accomplished what they wanted.

Alex had died.

__________

The report filed had nothing to do with what had actually happened. How could the police be as stupid as to not acknowledge that there was a second vehicle. The vehicle that caused the death of.... and to think, they didn't even recover his body. It had been destroyed, turned into ashes by the explosion but they were certain it was him. I mean, what other person could it have been? Only he was still in the car, only him. Why couldn't I have died with him? Why just him? Why did he leave me after everything we went through for our love? To top it all off, people thought I was crazy, even my own friends. I knew what I had seen yet no one believed me because the police report said otherwise.

"You're just making excuses for his death." Cass said to me one afternoon she came to visit.

I wanted to punch her! She, out of everyone should have believed me! We were like sisters yet she, like everyone else, believed Officer Dan and not me.

"It's okay to be in denial, Skylar. Eventually, you'll accept the truth." Damon had said.

No one believed me. So I had to lie, lie to myself and everyone else that what I had seen was all in my head.

There was no other vehicle. We had crashed against the street light. No one set the car on fire. It was our fault.

But it was lying that set me free. It took an entire week until I was released from the hospital. They only made me stay longer because of so said hallucinations. Though it wasn't long before I was back in there. For another reason: Jack had finally awoken.

He would help me. He'd know I was telling the truth. He would help me convince Zack, Rian, Cass, and Damon that the police report was a lie. And together, we would prove what had really happened.

We just had to wait and see his reaction first. It would be hard, and heartbreaking to tell him...
His bestfriend had been murmured.

•__•__•__•__•__•__•__•

I'm baaaaaack! Hahahahaha
~Kim