Further Strain

CIA actually caught and imprisoned me. Don't ask how I got out, the less you know the better. 

This chapter will be longer, explain why/how Annabeth uses Riptide, hopefully not ruin Percabeth (ugh, did I really just type that?), and still contain action. 

Riding in an air bubble from the bottom of the ocean to New York isn't the most fun thing I've ever done. Throw in Clarisse and Chris blabbing all the way, and it just plain sucks. Well, not all the blabbing was boring.

Instead of a sword, Chris was using these magic revolvers that fired Celestial bronze bullets and reloaded when he spun them in his hand. He'd gotten them as a souvenir during Clarisse's assault on the weapons shipment.

"Gods, now that was a great day," he said, smiling.

"Oh wipe that look off you're face," Clarisse glared.

Chris spun the revolver in his hand. Clarisse place her hand on her sword hilt. I took several steps back. They both took a step closer to each other, hands not leaving their weapons. They took another step, and then another. Just before I decided it was time to push them apart, Clarisse let go of her sword and Chris dropped the revolver. What happened next made me look away. I groaned louder than I meant to, so they pulled apart.

"What are you looking at?" Clarisse asked me.

I quickly turned away from the two. "Nothing. Nothing at all."

Looking outside the air bubble transport we were using (hey it beat being magically teleported by the minor gods and Athena) I saw something that temporarily chilled my blood.

I exited the air bubble and drew my knife. On command, it extended into a full sword. I love having the powers of Hephaestus. How else could I have rigged the knife to extend into a sword when it registered my thought commands?

"Percy Jackson, son of the sea god, failure of Olympus," Oceanus greeted.

"Oceanus," I responded, "Titan of the sea, whack job of Mount Othrys."

"Watch the remarks boy," Oceanus warned. "Your daddy isn't here to protect you anymore."

The mention of my dad made me feel angry and guilty. He was being forced to hold up the sky on Mount Tam, and I had been in California for a portion of my road trip. Yet I hadn't gone to save him. Some hero I was. But I would save him soon, and right now I was going to make Oceanus eat his words.

"Don't you dare bring my father into this," I warned.

"Or what?" Oceanus scoffed.

"This," I said, and slashed a cut in his arm with my sword.

He staggered back surprised but not really hurt. He willed the currents to attack me, and I did my best to hold them back. It was no use, though. He had stronger control over the ocean. I was buffeted and tossed around by the currents. I had to level the playing field somehow.

With everything I had, I managed to slow the currents around me enough to swim for surface. I leaped out of the water and stood there. Walking on water rules. My friends swam to the surface, gasping for air.

"Sorry," I apollogized.

"Behind you!" Chris shouted.

I turned in time to get sucker-punched by Oceanus. I skidded across the water like a skipping stone. Gaining my balance back with a back flip, I shot toward Oceanus like I was a jet ski, skimming across the water without even taking a step. I turned sharply, and sent a crest of waves hitting him in the face. I stopped moving for a bit, and just stood there, goading Oceanus into making the next move.