Chapter 7~ The Purfect Danger

Lalana could hear birds chirping in the trees, and a bark sounded a little ways off. She sighed. Everything was perfect. Stretching, Lalana rolled over, rustling the leaves under her fur. The sun shone brightly over the trees in the horizon, and the morning breeze smelled of crisp Autumn leaves. Stretching contentedly, Lalana reveled in the freshness of her new home: a cave.

It was not deep, but it was a much better shelter than the shallow hollow that she and Ninesh had been living in. Of course, it didn't help that the hollow had stopped keeping them warm at night, and the two had grown too large to fit in it properly. But the new cave- it was lovely. There were two hollows in the silty ground for sleeping in, and leaves were scattered around the entrance. Leaves also filled the sleeping hollows, and one could see outside from anywhere in the cave.

Finally deciding to look for Ninesh, Lalana rose and stepped neatly around the den. Coming to the entrance, Lalana closed her eyes as she emerged through the opening. The sun hit her eyes emediately, causing her to blink rapidly. When she opened them, Ninesh was standing a few leaps in front of her, sitting with his silvery tail wrapped over his paws, a rabbit dangling from his jaws.

"Wanna share?" Ninesh asked, his question muffled because of the prey. Lalana realized just how much she depended on him now, for both her safety and his.

"Sure! Who wouldn't share breakfast with a potentially dangerous wolf?" Lalana joked, her response full of sarcasm.

"Oh, you only say that because you're just as dangerous. I know you'd have been running scared had I met you like this a few moon-cycles ago."

Lalana thought about this a moment. "This is true. But at least I didn't run home with my tail between my legs like you after that skunk attack."

Ninesh's face was such one of complete and utter horror that Lalana couldn't help grinning like a deranged coyote. "You- how did- when have I- oh, I'm gonna get you for that one, Lalana. Just you- oomph!"

Lalana had barreled into him, sending the rabbit flying and Ninesh rolling down the slope. "You win! You win, Lalana! Seriously! Ouch. Lalana, I get it!"

Lalana snatched up the rabbit. "I know." As Ninesh struggled back up through the leaves covering the hill, she tore into the prey, savoring every morsel. "Mmmmmmm. Would you like some?"

Growling, Ninesh stole what was left of the rabbit from her and ate it in ravenous gulps, as if he were famished. "You're just jealous that I caught it while you were sleeping," he grumbled. Lalana's eyes stretched wide in mock indignation.

"Me? Jealous? Seriously, I thought you knew me better. Humph!" Lalana spun around and dashed playfully into the den.

Ninesh sighed. "Sometimes, there is just no understanding you," he murmured, shaking his head distractedly. Lalana turned her ears toward him, listening intently.

"Go on."

"Well, I mean, you twist your language so that it's confused and contradictory. Couldn't you say things simpler?" Ninesh padded softly into the cave, his eyes staring at Lalana's settled form.

"I suppose I could," Lalana replied, "But wouldn't it take the fun out of things?"

"I guess you're right," Ninesh submitted grumpily. "But that doesn't mean I have to like it."

"Oh, come on, Ninesh. Grow up. Let's go find something to do." And with that, she walked pointedly out of the cave. Ninesh followed her. "I mean, you are an adult, I'm an adult, and we both still act immature. Maybe we should act more our age."

Ninesh looked into her brown eyes. "Do you really believe that?"

"Of course. We've been through fall, winter, spring, summer, and now it is fall again. Don't you believe we should be a little more mature?" Lalana sat down, turning to face him. "I do."