Chapter Fifteen: That's Rich

|Kat|

Circa 1993

I hid beneath my comforter to block out the rest of the world. I was suffering the worst situation a teenager can face: being dumped. The boy had hardly finished the first date, after the encounter with my father. If that wasn't enough, my older brother had a talk with him once we got home. Needless to say, a second date was not in his plan.

When Stephanie burst into the room, I shot up in anger.

"Steph, I told you to stop barging in my room! Don't you know how to knock?" I yelled.

"Sorry," Steph said, plopping down on the end of the bed. "Why aren't you downstairs watching Raw?"

"It doesn't matter what I watch. Chris doesn't even want to see me anymore, because of Dad and Shane. I'm going to die alone." I flopped back onto my pillows in frustration.

Steph tried to comfort her me in the only way she knew how. "Well, you're going to miss Shawn," she teased. She was referring to Shawn Michaels, the wrestler she knew I had a huge crush on.

Before we knew it, the two of us were bounding down the steps to the living room.

"Girls! Stop running down the stairs! You're 17 and 18 years old, for Christ's sake," Mom scolded.

"Sorry Mom," I apologized, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. "But I'm not 18 yet."

Mom rolled her eyes but let us go.

Both of us dropped in front of the TV just as Shawn's entrance music hit.

There he was, followed by Diesel. He exuded charisma and confidence. And, God, wasn't he the cutest?

I had been invested in the Heartbreak Kid since he and Marty Jannetty burst onto the WWF scene as the Rockers. I couldn't get enough of his energy. There were few people in the company as talented as him, both in the ring and on the mic.

He was so good at making the audience hate him that sometimes I wondered if he even had to try.

"There's your future husband," Steph joked, making kissing noises at me.

I pushed her away from me. "Shut up. That will never happen."

Even if, in some bizarre alternate world, Shawn and I met... my dad would never let that happen. It was just a dumb little daydream I would grow out of eventually.

***

I stood with my father on his back porch, taking in the scene in front of us. Past the pool, there was a swarm of people preparing for the day. One team was setting up corrals and bringing in farm animals, while the other was blowing up inflatables. Not to mention the decorations Dad had ordered, which were littered everywhere. Throughout the house, the backyard, and all the way down the driveway.

I couldn't even find the proper words. "Wow. This is..."

"I know, not quite up to scratch," he said, sounding disappointed. "The catering I usually order was booked, but this should be fine. I can't even tell you how many hoops I had to jump through for the petting zoo, and then they say they could only bring three ponies due to 'lack of resources'."