Charlie- The Big News

Life was not good.

Life was never good, but now it was really bad.

To be honest there was no life.

Every person in the world had their eyes glued to any screen they could find. It didn't matter what type. It was being broadcasted to anything with pixels.

The big news. The kind that changed everything. But this wasn't going to change everything. It was going to change the universe.

The world was ending. Going. Exploding. Reaching the end of its majestic journey. Whichever way you looked at it, it was all over.

There was just one problem.

The evacuation pods that were built for this day that we had been warned of for centuries weren't ready there were only two. The most that each one could take was twenty five. No more no less.

Panic was obviously present and hysteria but many people were contacting their loved ones. Saying Goodbye. Saying things they never had the courage to say. I love you. I'm sorry. We had fun.

I had nothing I wanted to say. Nothing I had to say, no one to say it to. My family was gone and soon everyone else would be to. My attention was drawn once again to the massive screen in the centre of the plaza where I usually spent my days.

"Fifty spaces, Fifty people can be saved" it was like the world took a breath. How did you decide who was important enough to get a chance to leave the fated earth? They couldn't choose politicians they couldn't do anything without their people.

"There is a way of deciding and people of earth listen close" I stared in to the massive face of the presenter not for the first time I wondered what kind of a life he had. The man who presented every morning to the world. Gold watch, flashy million dollar smile and the oh so important tailored suit.

"We have a computer here filled with the names of every person on this planet" I almost laughed. How was that possible? Every single person?

"We can choose at random fifty people. This has been approved by governments all over the world and will now take place" I watched with baited breath. At random? Fair enough I suppose it was a less biased way.

The presenter tapped a few buttons probably trying to get the thing to turn on. It whirred and clicked and then a name came up.

Tony Markson. I nodded, good for him. It showed a picture and then faded to black once again. Several names passed each showing a photo. Soon they came to the last three. I stared. Everyone stared. Last chance.

"Gaia Livingston" I stared at her photo. Now that was someone I would like to know. She had gorgeous golden blonde hair and olive skin. Her blue eyes smiled out at me framed by thick dark eyelashes.

The next name came up but I was still seeing Gaia in my minds eye. It was strange how people could have such an effect on you from just one picture.

"And now the final name" I slumped on the floor. I wondered what emotions all these people were feeling right now. Jubilation? Misery at leaving behind their families? Curiosity?

I waited for the final name. The computer clicked for the final time and then a name flashed up. Charlie Johnson. No , I couldn't . That wasn't possible,

I gaped.

I guess I knew what emotions they were going through now.

The same that I was.