7) Family

A/N: idk what happened to me, a lot honestly, but this was supposed to be updated so long ago. i can't lie though, writers block was definitely winning against me when it came to this particular book. it's been so long i had to completely reverse my writing style to fit back into this because, truthfully, my writing is way more evolved than this. i wanted to finish this though due to the blinding amount of support and joy that came from this throughout the years. i have read every comment and responded to ones that i knew what to say to (i am extremely socially inept). so many people have read and voted for this, more than I ever imagined. my gratitude is endless, i love you all bunches! enjoy the, sadly, final chapter that i've been meaning to get out here for forever!

-----

The friendly banter and easy touches filled the loft, each pack member visibly happy. Derek stayed near at all times, always within reach. Every few minutes a soft kiss would be placed on an open patch of skin, a knuckle, a cheek, forehead, or inner wrist. They never lingered, were quick but gentle. Erica teased and Issac smiled, Boyd didn't visibly display anything but there was a pleasant air around him. Scott hovered as well, shoulder cuffs and nudges to the side, a grin and a joke. Peter sat on the spiral stairs and observed, his shoulder relaxed and his eyes warm.

Allison, Lydia, and Jackson were out getting groceries, after I insisted on cooking. Derek had rumbled when I told him I would make dinner, obviously pleased and excited. The list of ingredients was slightly extensive but nothing too wild. All of the pack members enjoy my cooking, especially the more traditional Polish dishes from my mom. I passed from person to person asking about their day and how they were feeling, doing a simple but meaningful check in with everyone. I got a hug from both Erica and Issac, the latter furrowing into my hoodie and the former nuzzling cheek to cheek. Boyd smiled gently and patted my shoulder thrice.

I did the same check in with the three that were absent prior, Lydia huffed slightly but answered nonetheless, Jackson snarked with a full genuine smile, and Allison dimpled and replied with ease. The pack as a whole was happy and well, functioning properly without fail. They chatted and laughed while I cooked, the only one in the kitchen with me being my mate and occasionally my best friend. Derek followed my movements with keen eyes from the bar on the kitchen island.

By the time dinner was over with, I was blushing and warm. The food was delicious, but the compliments from the pack made something soft unfurl in my chest, fondness echoing around between my ribs. The living room was rearranged and pallets were made from an assortment of bedding afterwards. We watched movies until everyone drifted to sleep, hands clutching each other, legs splayed across stomachs, and Derek pressed against my back.

Peter was the first up, making coffee when I stumbled away from the overheated sleep pile. "I dealt with the witch, just so you know." He started conversationally. My 'grabby hands' motion stopped short once the sentence was processed. Peter didn't turn or look at me, just stirred the drink and waited for a response.

"Thank you, Peter. You helped a lot. I have no idea how long Derek would have been all feral if you hadn't given me that book. I definitely wouldn't have known what to do about the witch, she honestly slipped my mind once I realized Derek wasn't in his right mind." I said sincerely trying to express exactly how grateful I was for everything Peter had done to help.

By the time I had finished speaking I was standing next to him facing the opposite direction. He finally looked at me, eyes unexpectedly vulnerable. "Derek is my family, and you are my pack. I will do everything in my power to protect you both."

I nodded with a smile before reaching over and taking the mug from his hands, sipping from it before laughing. "The fact that you make my coffee better than even I do is scary!"

Peter grinned and took a pull of his own beverage. We stood together in a comfortable quiet, waiting for the rest of the pack to wake up, and drank our coffee as the sun lit up the loft. Once everyone was moving about, I looked around and sighed happily. The pack was together and, while there would undoubtedly be more issues in the future, we were content to be in the presence of each other. It was incredible, watching Scott and Issac pick at Jackson over something silly, seeing Boyd and Erica team up while playing cards with Lydia in a weak attempt to win, watching Derek and Peter go over lore with Allison at the desk. This was a pack, this was family, and I would never change anything.