Chapter 3: Stronger, Faster

The following week carried on more or less peacefully. Though Starscream still held a grudge against Ratchet for not giving him a cube the other day, he was relieved to find out it was only temporary. The next two interrogation sessions came with a cube, the first one eagerly devoured quickly. In return for the cubes, however, Starscream did not tell Ratchet much, other than that Megatron was looking for more Dark Energon to do something big (which the Autobots already knew), and that though Megatron was in possession of all the Earth's Energon mines, they wouldn't last forever (something that the Autobots also already knew about).

"I'm beginning to think he doesn't actually know as much as we had hoped," Ratchet said the day after the second interrogation.

"He's probably just pretending he knows something so we can keep him here, all nice and cozy," Arcee said coldly. "It wouldn't be unlike him to do something like that."

"Well, I say we make him tell us more," Bulkhead said and clenched his fists.

"No," Optimus protested. "We do not resort to violence unless absolute necessary. And using it in an interrogation is not the Autobot way."

"But what do we do when he ends up running out of useful info?" Arcee asked. "Do we just drop him off for Megatron to find?"

"I'd feel better when he's gone, honestly," Bulkhead said. "I'll never forget what he tried to do to Miko back in the mine. I say we let him go."

Most of the Autobots agreed, but Optimus raised a servo in objection.

"We do not know what would happen to him if we give him back to the Decepticons. Airachnid could have acted on her own when she left him, but if she was following Megatron's orders... I do not believe he would take Starscream's return well."

"So what if he scraps him?" Bulkhead replied. "One less 'Con to worry about. And one of the worst, for that matter!"

"If we act indifferently to Starscream's fate by sending him back, we are no better than the Decepticons. We Autobots differ from the Decepticons by knowing the concept of mercy."

They all silenced, neither disagreeing nor wanting to protest against Optimus' statement. They knew he was right. He interpreted the silence as understanding and continued talking.

"However frustrating he may be, we have to be patient with Starscream. He will come around, sooner or later. But make no mistake, we will keep a close eye on him at all times."

-----

The next evening, Ratchet was checking a sample of Synthetic Energon; ever since Bulkhead lost the formula, Ratchet had continued to connect the missing pieces in an attempt to complete the unfinished formula, then worked several days on the development. Rafael was currently present in the base, having come home from school early and having regained control of his homework – Jack was working at the drive-thru, and Miko was in detention (again) – and leaned against the railings, looking interested at Ratchet's work.

"Hey, Ratchet. Is that Synthetic Energon?" he asked curiously.

"Well, yes," Ratchet replied while checking the cells on the Synth-En. "In fact I am preparing to test a sample. I see that you come equipped with protective goggles," he added with a smile, referring to Raf's glasses.

"I can watch?" the boy asked eagerly.

Ratchet chuckled. "We just add some to this test engine..." He injected the test engine with the Synthetic Energon. He and Raf watched as the blue light turned green from the change of Energon, followed by the engine running smoothly with a purring sound.