29 - Eavesdropper

August 31, Monday

Dorian is getting creepier every day. He's always following me around and giving me dirty looks. Kyton says it's because I keep running around down by the stream--inside the barrier, I promise--and tracking mud into the house. He might have a point.

Today, I'd rather kiss Dorian than leave the house. The moment I step outside, I'll be doomed for Rothworth's. I might as well get it over with. Mom's been exceptionally happy these past few weeks, and I think she'll keep her end of the compromise. I think she'll let me practice magic.

***

No go, no go, no go! Eva screeched, inside my head and out, as I dragged her around my room.

I wasn't dragging her on purpose. She'd attached herself to the end of my pant leg, and she refused to let go until I promised I wouldn't go to Rothworth's.

"Quiet down, you're going to get me in trouble."

She screeched louder. No go!

Plopping down on the floor, I pulled Eva into my lap. She stopped screeching long enough for me to stroke her back. I sighed.

"Eva, I'll just be gone until this afternoon. Then I'll come back, okay?"

Don't wanna be alone, Lizzy.

I frowned. "Look, if I just go to Rothworth's for one week, then I can go to a magic school. You'll be able to come with me there. But if you make a lot of noise and someone finds you, they'll take you away. I'll get in trouble, and I won't be able to see you for a long time. Do you want that?"

No no no no. She shook her tail feathers and fluffed up her wings.

"Right, so you have to keep quiet. And until I come find you, you can't leave the closet. There's food and water, a litter box, some toys, a book to chew on. You'll be okay until I get back."

Chirping, she hopped out of my lap. I good. I stay in closet. She waddled into the closet.

I stood and closed the door behind her. No one should be snooping around in my things, but even if they did, I'd hidden all of Eva's things inside a few cardboard boxes with little doorways in the back. She could always hide in one of those if anyone came in.

***

Kyton was waiting for me by the car in the driveway. "Piper called me and said she wanted to talk to you about something."

"About what?" I patted my pockets, looking for my phone. It wasn't there, and when I checked my backpack, it wasn't there either.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "She just said she wanted to talk."

"I must've left my phone inside. I'll go get it." I took two steps before realizing something and spinning around. "You and Piper have been texting?"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "She gave me her number so she could give me news about my dad's status. But I think she has a crush on me."

"Oh. Okay." I turned back around, heading up the driveway to the house. Apparently, the Twister fiasco hadn't ruined everything between them. This was a good thing. They would be good together. Piper was just a normal witch. She didn't want to drink Kyton's blood or anything. She just wanted to kiss him like a normal person. It was perfectly reasonable for them to like each other.

If it was so reasonable, why did it bug me so much? I felt like a territorial dog. Kyton was my walking blood fountain, and I didn't want to share him with anyone else, no matter how normal they were. What was wrong with me?