Chapter 21

Almost three years later and you would have never known that Stefan and Elena had been through hell and back thanks to Derrick.

Stefan and Elena were still your typical young married couple. They fought about the small things and waited for the other to cave first and come crawling back, begging for forgiveness. They still chased each other around the house, laughed, and held hands like any young couple might do. They also continued to travel, adding many places in Europe and Asia to their list. Of course, much of their time was spent with Lily too.

Elena walked into the kitchen, passing Katherine who was perched at the breakfast bar, reading through the latest issue of Vogue. Katherine, Damon, Lily, and Mimi had been living with them for the past week since Damon's house had been invaded by ants. The large house was being exterminated and Stefan had insisted they stay with him so Lily wouldn't have to stay at a hotel. Elena hadn't really cared one way or another. It was a large house and if she didn't want to see Katherine, she didn't have to really. "Morning" Elena said.

"Uh huh" Katherine replied, picking up her glass of orange juice as she turned the page in her magazine. Elena accepted her reply and went to work, getting a bowl of ice cream. She added a few things on top and took a large bite as she walked past Katherine.

Katherine looked at Elena with utmost disgust. "What?" Elena asked, seeing Katherine's distinct look of disapproval.

"You're eating ice cream with pickles and bananas" Katherine said, raising her eyebrow. Elena wiped at her mouth as she looked down at her bowl of ice cream. She in fact was eating vanilla ice cream with pickles and bananas. It was disgusting, yet so good. A quizzical glare spread across Katherine's face. "Are you pregnant?" she asked.

Elena swallowed what she had in her mouth as she stared at Katherine. "No" she said, though the panic was evident. "I don't know" she said, setting her ice cream down. "Oh God" she said, running out of the room.

Elena had driven to the drug store and bought one of those home pregnancy tests, praying that Katherine hadn't mentioned this to anyone yet. She wracked her brain for any other signs of pregnancy as she waited nervously to check the test that was sitting on her bathroom counter. She counted on her fingers to see if she was late. Maybe a week or two. She hadn't really felt sick though. Maybe a little tired. Had she missed taking her pill? Not that she could think of. So no, she couldn't be pregnant. She pushed the idea out of her head as she walked to the counter and grabbed the pregnancy test. She checked the box to see how to read the results. Two pink lines indicated pregnancy.

She had two pink lines.

Elena sunk down to the floor against the cabinet under the sink. She looked at the pregnancy stick she was holding once again. "Oh God" she said, slowly letting herself believe it. Of course she knew that the doctor's results would be the only way to know for sure, but the more she looked at the test in her hands, the more she was really starting to believe that she was pregnant.

She and Stefan hadn't talked about having a baby in a long time. She had begun to think that he wasn't interested in kids anymore. She had always just pictured this moment a little differently. One where she and Stefan were actually trying to get pregnant and he was in the bathroom with her, waiting and excited to see if they had accomplished their goal yet.

She wanted to tell him about this so he could go with her to the doctor. The only time she would have with him alone was that night. Damon, Katherine, and Lily were going out to dinner. She could tell Stefan then.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"You didn't eat much tonight. Everything okay?" he asked her as he put their dishes away.