Prologue

"Honey, why you calling me so late? It's kind of hard to talk right now. Honey, why are you crying? Is everything okay? I gotta whisper 'cause I can't be too loud.

Well, my girl's in the next room, sometimes I wish she was you. I guess we never really moved on. It's really good to hear your voice saying my name, it sounds so sweet. Coming from the lips of an angel. Hearing those words it makes me weak"

(Hinder - 'Lips Of An Angel')

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stumbling around his semi-dark room, Michael searches for this phone, which he can hear vibrating against something within the room.

When he finally locates his phone- underneath a messy stack of papers on his desk- he quickly checks the caller ID before answering with a sigh, "Luke? It's 9:30pm, what do you want?"

"I miss you" Luke sniffs, and Michael instantly realises that Luke is crying.

"Luke, you're the one who walked away" Michael sighs, trying to pretend he can't tell that Luke is crying.

"But... I still love you, Michael" his ex chokes out, and Michael has to bite his lip and blink back the tears that are threatening to fall.

"I still love you, too... but it's too late for us now" the older boy says quietly, glancing out the window towards the street light just outside his house, the only source of light- aside from the paused TV screen.

"Michael, please-" Luke begins to plead.

"I'm sorry, Luke" Michael interjects in a hushed voice, "I have to go, Calum is finished in the bathroom".

"Oh, Calum's there" Luke says in a whisper, hurt evident in his voice.

"Yeah, we're watching season one of Breaking Bad" Michael says quickly & quietly, listening carefully to the sound of the bathroom tap running down the hall. "I have to go" he whispers.

"Oh, okay" Luke chokes out, "Bye, Mikey".

"Bye, Luke" Michael says quietly before hanging up. Hearing footsteps approaching his room, Michael sets his phone back down and pounces back onto the bed.

When his current boyfriend, Calum, walks back into the room, Michael is laying in the same spot he was before his phone had started ringing, shooting Calum a fake, yet convincing, smile.

"Were you talking to someone?" Calum asks in curiosity, smiling at his older, punk boyfriend, who, incidentally, looked like a fluffy kitten at the moment.

"No" Michael lies casually, shaking his head.

"Okay, I just thought I heard you speaking" Calum says as he climbs back into bed and snuggles up to Michael again.

"You must be hearing things" Michael jokes. Calum just chuckles and gives his red-haired boyfriend a gentle kiss.

"Maybe I just hear your voice in my head 24/7" Calum smirks as he reaches for the remote.

"I have that effect on people" Michael says in a somewhat cocky tone, glancing back towards the TV as Calum hits play.

"As you do" Calum agrees, but Michael doesn't hear because he has already started zoning out.

Luke had sounded so upset when he called, and Michael couldn't help but wonder if he was drunk, even just a little bit, because he hasn't heard Luke cry over him since the day he said he was leaving, which was five months ago.

Michael- although he tried not to- couldn't do anything but picture Luke, and how he was probably crying into a pillow in heartbreak.

Luke, on the other hand, was simply fighting back tears while finding comfort in a silly little razor, yet again, just wishing he hadn't of let Michael go.

Both of the ex-lovers wished that they could go back in time and fix what they had, but something keeps telling them that they are- unfortunately- meant to be 'just friends'.

So 'Just Friends' they will be, no matter how much it kills them both inside.