Chapter Five

Chapter Five

As I walked to my next class, ACT prep, I prayed that he wouldn't be there, but I must've been having an extra unlucky day or something, because he was in there, again. But it wasn't Deja vu. It was worse. Because he wasn't sitting in the front with the airhead cheerleaders this time. This time he was sitting in the back, where I had planned to be. And to think, I had been really excited for this class because I knew there were no assigned seats. Ugh!

So now I had two choices. I could sit with the airhead cheerleaders in the front and let my IQ drop ten points just by breathing their carbon dioxide, or I could suck it up and go sit in the back with that Luke guy.

While I stood at the door, pondering my choice, Luke noticed I was there and shot me an obnoxious smile. I scowled.

Well, he can't be that bad, I thought. Maybe he'll just leave me alone if I ask nicely.

I reluctantly headed to the back of the room and plopped down in the seat beside his.

I knew almost immediately I'd made a bad choice.

.....................................

Almost an hour later, he still would not leave me alone. I tried my best to pay attention to Miss Ferguson, but he kept staring at me, and then he would start whispering my name, trying to get my attention. This was probably the third time during class so far he'd completed the same cycle. He'd stare at me for a while, then try to get my attention by calling my name, and then he would rip little pieces of notebook paper up and throw them at me, while still calling my name! I couldn't believe how juvenile he was being.

"Arianna, darn it, look at me!"

I actually looked at him, surprised, because he'd finally broken the cycle he'd been going through for the last hour.

"What the crap do you want?" I asked him, the annoyance obvious in the tone of my voice. Apparently he didn't pick that up. Idiot.

"I just want you to talk to me." he replied, wearing a fake-sad face. At least I thought it was fake. It had to be fake, right?

I looked at him for another minute before sighing. I'd decided to surrender. Enough is enough, right?

"Ok, fine," I whispered to him. "What do you want to talk about that is so important?" By now I was kind of curious to know what it was, so I'd decided to humor him.

"I want to know why you act like you hate me so much when you don't even know me."

"That's easy," I replied, turning my eyes back to stare at our teacher. "The answer is, I do hate you. It's not an act."'

I didn't even look at him when I said that, and for some reason I felt really guilty after I did. I knew it was a lie. Honestly, I didn't hate him, not really. I just hated that when I had first looked up at his eyes when I ran into him, I felt an instant connection, and I finally had that 'Omg it's really him! My soulmate!' moment. And he didn't even look down at me. He just shoved me off of him, and it made me feel like a stupid, wounded puppy. I wasn't sure what to think when my heart told me, "He's the one!" at the exact same time as my head told me to stay away from him. My head knew just from his first action towards me that he would definitely be bad for me, because if he treated me like that, without even glancing down at me, he wasn't the right guy for me after all.

At this point, that was why I was mad. That was what was annoying me to death. I hated the fact that I couldn't make up my mind, not him.

I didn't hate him at all...