Nineteen

Lottie seems happy about being in her uniform, but I'm self-conscious about mine

Lottie seems happy about being in her uniform, but I'm self-conscious about mine. It sticks to my stomach and barely covers my butt. How do the girls who are cheer veterans get used to this? I mean, do we have to wear them everywhere? The school's black and gold colors adorn the fabric, with matching sequins. Anyone wearing them looks like giant bumblebees. Sexy bumblebees, but still bumblebees.

Roxie seems okay with the lack of coverage, too. She leans over her booth so far you can see that her spanks are a bit too tight.

"Oh, my God," Lottie whispers, pulling me close. "Doesn't she realize people are trying to eat?"

Her ill-fitting spanks are the least of my worries as she jumps up and leans toward the door. "Oh, hey!" she calls as Parker and Tay enter. "Guess we all had the same idea, huh?"

Upon hearing her voice, Tay cringes, and Lottie fights back a laugh. Parker even looks terrified. Poor kid. Roxie's high-pitched voice is pretty scary, especially when it's aimed at you. Who wouldn't be afraid of her long acrylics and thick eyelashes? Everything about her screams stereotypical head cheerleader.

"Why do you look so scared?" Roxie pouts, her full lips poking out so far out you could slice them off and barely nick her nose. She's faking, that much is clear, and neither guy falls for it.

"I think they just want to relax, honey." Darcie rests a hand on her friend's shoulder.

Half of the students here can't possibly have a free period at the same time. There are at least fifteen people here from three different grades, and seniors are the only ones who get a free period at the end of the day if they aren't taking other classes. Some Juniors get to leave during study hall if all their classes are caught up. I'm not skipping, but I still feel bad for not using this time to study.

Are Tay and Parker skipping? The two guys in question are already at a booth in the corner with their friends, who don't seem to have a care in the world. Parker is busy laughing, but Tay... Well, he's being Tay. His eyes are cast down at the table as he wrings his hands.

"He's been a mess, you know." Lottie leans over and plucks my milkshake from my hands before I can think.

I blink. "What?"

"Since you agreed to go out. He's been a wreck trying to decide if he should text you about it or wait until you text him." She takes a long sip of the shake, squeezing her eyes shut and shuddering. "He really likes you. And even though you've had a bad past with jocks, I think you ought to give him a chance."

Darcie chimes in as well when Roxie leaves to walk up to the counter, "He's a good guy. He'd be perfect for you. But he's so shy. It's up to you." There isn't a hint of maliciousness in the way her skin crinkles around her hazel eyes as she smiles.

Heat rises to my face, and I snatch my milkshake back from Lottie to distract myself. Is it too late to ask him? Maybe he thinks I lost interest.

"Come on, girl!" Lottie shoves me. "Go after what you want! He ain't gonna say no!"