[02] Three's A Crowd

also known as;
'Three's A Company'

also known as;'Three's A Company'

I

"WHAT IS THIS PLACE?"

"We call it Aretuza. And you will treat it now as your home."

"My home is-"

"There is no other place for you, do you understand?"
"But I can't just be here. I'm part of a royal line, my father wouldn't let something like-"

"Your father knew of the arrangements."

"I won't stand for this. I'm perfectly capable of deciding exactly where I-"

"You are a danger to yourself and others, no one else will take you. Without my guidance, you will perish," Tissaia's voice sliced like a blade through the silent hallway as she came to a stand-still and darted an unsavoury glance at the girl. "Do you really think that you know better than I? Your mother mentioned your headstrong attitude, tell me - can you explain how those curtains set alight without an accelerant of some kind? No? You must grow up, you are not a squandering little girl any more. You have the potential to be much more than that, am I clear? You are to not argue with me further." They started off again without another word but that could not quell the hammering of Narys's heart against her ribs. She vowed to write to her parents as soon as possible and bombard them with a million and one questions. Was this some kind of harsh, disciplinary attempt at knocking the sense of wonderment and ambition out of her? Make her so terrified of the outside world that she wouldn't want to consider straying from the castle walls ever again?

Narys glanced around. This was most certainly not any home of hers, she would see to that.

The journey here had been swift as the carriage had dropped them off at the very edge of the Redanian border and Tissaia had led the girl through a glistening swirl of mist which transported them to an entirely different location. Narys had barely managed to stop herself from throwing up at the experience of beginning in one place and appearing in the other. Aretuza, as she had seen it from the outside, was an enormous dark structure surrounded by nothing but endless ocean and a barricade formation of obelisk-shaped rocks to keep out unwanted ships.

The halls were large and overbearing as they passed through them, Tissaia walked with a briskness in her step which forced Narys to run to keep up with her. The echoes of their hurried footsteps rebounded off of the cold stone as they traced a winding corridor aligned with several windowless, oak doors on either side. The entire corridor was lit dimly in a blueish glow as Tissaia lead her to a door at the very end of it, opening it swiftly with the sliding of a wrought-iron lock and gesturing for her to head inside.

"Your room," Tissaia explained shortly. Narys challenged her with a pair of raised eyebrows and folded arms, "Well?" She reluctantly stepped over the threshold and into the small shadowy abode. The walls were naught but grey brickwork, only adding to the blue luminescence of the place. A high window on the far wall was unreachable but allowed a slither of light to cast itself inside and carry the sounds of the waves crashing against the shores. A meagre-looking bed with a moth-eaten blanket sat in the left corner and a simple wash basin and vanity adorned the wall opposite. It was a far cry from the lap of luxury she had been plucked from.