Chapter 2 Rayla's POV {He is Neither Principled Nor My Pal}

The principal's office smells like old socks.

It's a weird thing to notice, being in trouble and all, but it does.

That girl I got into a fight with, Genelyn Harriston, is pretending to look distraught, her hair messed and her eyes wide and scared. Ha. Phony. I'm not going to pretend just to get out of trouble. My back straight, I meet the eyes of the principal. He's clicking a pen, and he looks displeased. "So." He starts. "Genelyn Harriston. Rayla Lunarson."

Lunarson? Is that my last name?

"What was the cause of the fight?" He asked in a bland tone.

Before I can say anything, Genelyn bursts into tears. "I was just saying hi to Callum and she hit me." She blubbers.

I stand up, outraged by her lies. "I didn't! You tried to flirt with Callum, but he obviously didn't want you to! I stepped in front of him, and you struck the first blow!"

"Girls." Mr. Hingsworth growls. "Let's do this in a civilized manner. I will call in those who were watching the fight, and they will tell me. Understood?"

I sigh and nod.

One by one, students file inside. They turn to face us. "So, who was it?" He asks them.

All their faces turn to stone, and they all point to me. Except one. Callum. He points to Genelyn.

^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^

"I can't believe he believes that freaking idiot!" I mutter angrily, storming out of the principal's office.

Callum tries to keep up with my long strides. "Rayla, it's ok. Both of us know who's really at fault." He attempts to pacify my anger. I appreciate it, but it's not working.

"Why'd you even bother standing up for me? No one's believing it, anyways!" I continue.

Callum darts in front of me. He puts his hands on my shoulders, stopping me. "Rayla. You're my best friend. I will always be there for you."

I smile. Callum has a special way of diffusing my anger. "Yeah. Thanks, Callum. I'm sorry I lashed out at you like that."

"No problemo." He smirks. "Let's get to our next class. You're going to love it."

^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^

"I'm going to love it, huh?" I mutter to Callum. Both of us sit at a two person desk, and I'm hunched over a drawing of him. Or what he would look like if he were torn apart by a dragon. Our assignment was to draw our partner, and I was with Callum.

His drawing of me was already perfectly shaded, signed, and lying neatly in his side of the desk with his pencils put away in his dragon pencil case.

I scrub at the paper viciously, desperately trying to erase that line cutting through his gut. "Gah! I give up!" I say, and he laughs.

Finally, I have a 'finished' product, and we're dismissed. Never have I been so happy to get out of class.

^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^ ^•×•^

The next class is P.E., something I enjoy, being naturally good at it. Callum groans, him being the least athletic person I know, but he just said I'd love art, so I can't say I pity him that much.

We split up at the locker rooms, him heading left and me going right. I hear giggling coming from the room and groan. Great. You can bet Genelyn told everyone in her little clique about me supposedly beating her up. But for my best friend Callum? Totally worth it. I sigh and walk into the locker room, my green backpack ready for swinging at people.

Inside is the pinkest room I've ever seen. It's absolutely disgusting, and what's even worse are the giggling girls inside. As soon as I step in, the giggling stops and everyone turns to stare at me. "Hey." One of them remarks. "It's the freak."

Refusing to be cowed by them, I ignore them and head to my cubby hole. There aren't any locks or doors, and who knows how far these girls will stoop. I'll have to be extra careful here.

Something hits the back of my head, and I turn. One of Genelyn's little cronies just threw a hot pink towel at me. I ignore it, turning back to my cubby hole. I put my bag inside and change for P.E.

They all giggle again. I glare at them, my temper flaring. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing that would interest you, Dixie." They snicker.

"I'm Dixie now, huh?" I say. Personally, that's one of the stupidest nicknames I've ever heard. "Fine by me, Nelly." I retort, targeting Genelyn.

She humphs. "Was that supposed to be a burn, Dixie?" She taunts.

I narrow my eyes, my glare locking onto hers. "How could I burn someone who's best friend is the mirror?"

She growls. "How dare you- Girls, attack!"