I promise... I'm lying - Part 5

- Hey guys! This Chapter is really short, and im gonna upload a new normal sized one really fast but i liked how this one ended. ;) sorry for the extra wait!

Again, if you like my story please vote and comment, and if you think it's really good please fan! Thanks for reading!

 - Johnny

Chapter 5

-I promise… I’m lying -

I was about to tell him that we could see each other anymore. But I couldn’t think up a good lie. I couldn’t tell him the truth, no way! But I just couldn’t think up a good lie. I decided I would just randomly make something up on the spot. I work well under pressure.

 “Jas…” I looked up from my fettuccini to tell him something, but my voice trailed off because the weird look in his eye caught me off guard. He was doing it again... that thing where he looked off into space and I momentarily thought he was dead. Not again. Not twice in one meal. Is this what they did before they were about to die? Holy crap I gotta get him out of here before he chokes on a meatball or something! My brain started yelling at me, but I couldn’t make myself move. So I just yelled. “JASPER! Run!” He immediately snapped out of it. I was in tears. Was I too late? It was all my fault! Was he going to die?!

No. actually, what he did was quickly come over into my side of the booth and start petting my head, holding me in a tight hug.

 “It’s ok… Shh… It’s ok…” I peered out from over his shoulder. Most of the people in the restaurant were looking at us. Another job well done, Ray. He pulled himself back, still holding my shoulders, and looked at me with growing concern. “Are you ok?” he asked. Obviously I was just dandy. Who didn’t randomly have spasms in restaurants from time to time? I was still shedding tears soundlessly. I nodded a yes.

“I… I thought…” I couldn’t think straight.

 “Do you want to leave?” he asked. I was really hungry. Like, really really hungry. Hungry enough that all those creepy people staring at us could screw off and worry about their own personal problems. I shook my head no.

“You must be really hungry.” He stated, as he moved back over to his side of the booth. Thank you captain obvious.

Everyone slowly at their own pace went back to their noodles and bread sticks. Mostly nobody was looking at me now. Except Jasper. I avoided his gaze, looking at a very interesting plant in the back of the restaurant. I could feel his eyes boring holes into me. I turned towards him.

“What?” I asked in a huff, then quickly looked away.

“What?” he repeated. “What? What was that!?”

 “What was what?” He raised his eyebrows... the way I would guess a mom who finds her five year old dumping nail polish all over the room, who denies it right afterwards, would. Maybe if I kept playing dumb, he would drop it.

“You know, I’m not going to drop it just because you’re playing dumb.” He read my mind. Then smirked. Okay, well this was just wonderful. I glanced around the restaurant. I had to lay this on gently, really smooth-like. I leaned forward over the table, and whispered

 “Okay, Jasper. I thought, that you, had died.” Way to be keeping it real, Ray. Really, very nice and smooth.

I swear I could almost see the gears turning in his head, trying to figure out if I was messing with him or being serious. He looked into my eyes, and I guess he decided to take it seriously because he simply stated

“I was just thinking.” Oh. Well. I guess if I’m capable of making people die when I meet them, then Jasper might be capable of thinking. It’s a long shot, but hey, you never know.

“Oh. What were you thinking about?” I asked, trying to change the subject. “Nothing, really” he said. His eyes all of a sudden seemed tired, but he plastered a smile to his face.

 “So how are your noodles babe?”

“They are gonna be even better when I dump them on your head.” I smiled a seemingly innocent smile. Oh yeah. Don’t mess with me. He laughed and topped it with his infamous Jasper smirk. It’s going to be really, really funny when I actually do it.

“You don’t get out much, do you?” he asked, following a couple minutes of awkward silence.

“Wha-at?” I asked him, looking up with my mouth half full of noodles. Real classy like.

“Were you really serious when you said you thought I had died?” he asked me, laughter dancing in his eyes.

“Uh, no?” I asked more than told.

“Yes you did.” Okay.

“Well, then I guess since you know everything, you don’t really have to even ask me, right?” I smirked. This was one of those beautifully placed ‘touché” moments. His eyes narrowed. Game on.

“If I tell you what I was thinking about earlier, will you tell me why you yelled at me to run?” he conspired.

“Babe,” I said, shamefully stooping to his level. “I don’t really want to know what goes on in that tiny little brain of yours.” Let ’im marinate on that for a while.

“Okay…” he paused. “Then I guess you’ll never know.”

“But you’ll never know my reasoning either!” I smirked. Take that. He laughed under his breath. He probably didn’t even know what to say next… that’s the kind of competition I run. Right when I was thinking I was a hard-core bad-ass winner, he went back to eating his noodles. He didn’t even give me time for a victory speech. I was confused for a moment, but cautiously ate a bite of fettuccini while keeping my eyes locked on him. I wonder what he had been thinking about. Maybe it was something really important! What if -maybe- he had some sort of, power, or whatever I had, and he had been thinking about telling me? We could work together and be a team! Wait. Nobody has my gift. Well, I wouldn’t call it a gift… more of a boulder being thrown at your head type of thing. Anyways, could he? Was it possible? No. Maybe.

“Jasper…” I worded carefully. He looked at me, his eyebrows raised in a questioning glance.

“Not that I care or anything, but uh… what were you thinking about?” I braced myself for a smirk and an

‘Oh, you thought you were tough just then, didn’t you?’ but instead his eyes grew sad, and I could swear he went a tiny bit pale. But maybe I was just imagining it. What I know I didn’t imagine, though, was the way his shoulders slumped and he looked back at his food nervously. I realized that we had had a very bi-polar evening.

“Jasper…” I was aware of how whiny I sounded, but he needed to get this off his chest if we were going to have the wonderful dinner he was paying for and that I was ruining in the end. He looked up again.

“You have to tell me.”

 “Tell you what?” I asked starting to feel defensive.

“Why you had thought I had died. Seriously.” Great. Usually, I could easily pull out a lie. I had had enough practice at it. But he was different then Grandma’s bingo buddies. I felt like I trusted him, even though I had no idea if I could. Maybe it was because I felt like he trusted me.

I nodded, with my fingers crossed behind my back.