Chapter 1

Phoenix:

My heart was beating a hundred miles per hour as the boy next to me was called forward. The three elders sitting on the side of the gym was flat out nerve racking. In the ring in front of me was one massive thing of a man. The classmate that faced him was six-six in height, but this man was a good few inches taller and scary. Tony, our classmate, stood slightly shaking on the edge of the ring.

"On mark," Said the Elder in the Red Robe.

Tony nodded numbly before stepping in the ring. The scary man just stood there staring at him like a predator does pray, his silver eyes pinned on Tony. Tony audibly gulped. An instructor called mark, and Tony launched himself at the giant man. The man side stepped him. Tony wasn't deterred yet, as he landed himself on his hands twisting as he kicked out at the man. The man stepped away again. It was interesting to watch, as Tony couldn't even strike him. The three minutes were up in a matter of moments, and Tony was kindly asked to step out of the circular ring. He did so panting.

"Phoenix," The red robed Elder barked at this time, "Step into the ring."

My heart leapt into my throat. Would they recognize me? I held my breath, trying hard not to look directly at the red robed man. The person in the ring looked at me, annoyed. He thought I was going to be an ant under his foot. I'll prove him wrong.

Aku:

This was boring. That last kid was the worst. Not even a challenge for a grunt. I know this was the pre-Academy but come on, someone has to know how to fight. The girl now in front of me really didn't give my any hopes. She didn't meet my eyes and shuffled like she didn't want to be noticed. I cracked my knuckles loudly, but she didn't even flinch. She is watching me then. Avol, my team commander, sat with his red hood covering his entire face to others, seemed interested in the girl. I cracked my knuckles again, and the girl lifted her head just a fragment. It was enough for me to catch an annoyed glare. It was amusing to see.

"On mark." Said an instructor.

The girl bent her knees ever so slightly, getting ready for a fast first move. If I had furry ears, they probably would be pricked up, alert. Avol called for the beginning of the match, sitting back in his chair. The girl didn't launch at me like the others did. She stood ready, waiting, like a hawk on a branch. It made me want to fidget, and with all my might I kept still. The girl had turned a battle of skill into a battle of patience. I lost. I had to move. It was a fault not even Avol was able to break from me. When I moved, she moved. She was fast. Too fast for a normal human. She moved without a sound across the distance between us in a matter of heart beats. I had barely a thought in my mind to move when she nailed me in the face. Her blow was weak, but if she had the training she could have knocked me off my feet. Avol became abruptly alert. I took a step back away from the girl. She didn't come after, but it was a small relief. My elder brother was going to hear about this and laugh. Avol didn't laugh now, as he talked with one of the teachers sitting next to him.

The girl stepped in and I stepped back. She stepped right, and I stepped left. She charged three steps forward. I stumbled back, but like a newb I was so focused on my opponent I didn't look where I was stepping. I slipped on something. I fell hard my head, hitting the mat outside the white lined circle. I heard Avol asking the teacher exactly who the girl was.

"Phoenix, Sir Elder," The teacher winced out. "She uses trickery and deception to win most her fights. She had beaten every battle simulation we have given her. She is smart, having the highest grades. Unbeaten and fastest in class."

Phoenix:

I think I made the first mistake by not outright charging the large man, but I had to make him miss step like I made so many others. The Elder in the red robe was talking in harsh whispers now. One of the other elders, who wore a white robe, leaned over and spoke very clearly.