15I Partner

I tapped my fingers on my desk, trying to work out what name is given to the junction between the connecting neurone and the neurone carrying the impulse to the brain.

Biology wasn't exactly my favourite class. I was always pretty good at it and people would come to me for help, but I found it boring and tedious. It din't interest me in the slightest.

The lesson only had five minutes left, so I considered pretending to do the work but not actually doing it since I wouldn't be able to finish in the last couple of minutes anyway.

I decided to go with my idea and just stared down at my work as though I was thinking about the question. However, my mind was elsewhere.

What color is a mirror?

If you enjoy wasting time, is it really wasted?

If anything is possible, is it possible for anything to be impossible?

Why is a boxing ring square?

Technically the day we were born is our first birthday.

If there's an exception for every rule, then is the rule there's an exception for every rule not a rule because there's not an exception for it?

Why-

My thoughts were cut off by my Biology teacher. "Ok, class. For your assignment on the structure of plant and animal cells and how they work differently, I'm going to give you partners," she said.

I suppressed a groan. I could be paired with anyone. My only friends in this class were Sophie and Noah.

"Ashley and Conner," our teacher said, beginning to list off the names. "Jacob and Louis, Emma and Max, Noah and Lucy, Finn and Sophie, Megan and Josh, Owen and Lila." Our teacher carried on telling everyone their partners, but I just zoned out.

Of course. What else did I expect? This was my messed up life, after all.

I would have to be spending time with the most annoying person I knew. So why wasn't I as upset about it as I should have been?

I turned to look at Noah who was already looking at me with wide eyes.

We made eye contact and he gave me a tight lipped smile although I could tell he was quite annoyed.

Next I turned my attention to Sophie who was smiling and talking to the girl next to her. She must have felt me staring at her because she turned around to look at me and excitement covered her face as her eyes flitted between me and Owen.

I couldn't help but laugh slightly at her fangirl reaction, as a small smile that crept onto my face.

I followed her gaze over to where Owen was sat on the other side of the classroom.

He was already shamelessly staring at me and my cheeks flushed slightly at the thought of him checking me out.

Stop that cheeks! Don't act so happy about it! For some reason my cheeks didn't listen and I just continued to blush.

His eyes met mine and a smirk made its way onto his face as we stared at each other.

At least someone was happy about this project arrangement.

The bell rang and I turned away from him, shoving my notebooks and stationary in my bag and walking out of9l the door.

LILA

I sat down at my lunch table where all my friends were already sat, talking.

As soon as Sophie noticed my presence, a grin broke across my face. I instantly knew she was going to tell the others about my partner in Biology being Owen.