iii. ━━ winning a battle, losing the war

CHAPTER THREEwinning a battle, losing the war

CHAPTER THREE
winning a battle, losing the war.
season one, episode three.

"GEORGE'S ROOM IS BIGGER THAN MINE!"

Cassie startled awake at the sound of Izzie's screeching, her dream coming to an end just as abruptly. With a groan, she begrudgingly got to her feet, brushing the tangled hair from her face while stumbling out of her bedroom with heavy steps.

Swinging the door open, she was met with what could only be described as chaos; Izzie, who stood in the hallway, mid-scream with her arms crossed tightly over her chest, and George, who seemed to be pressed for time as he simultaneously rushed to get ready and screamed back, and finally Meredith, who'd opened her door only moments after Cassie did.

The two shared an exhausted glare.

"Izzie," Cassie emphasized, her voice coming out far deeper than she intended, "House rules. No yelling before 7 in the morning."

"But it's not fair! I have more clothes, so I should have the bigger room. Tell him, Cassie, tell him that I—"

"No!" George's voice was muffled by the toothbrush in his mouth. "First come, first servfhdj—"

He choked on toothpaste, and even from across the hallway, Cassie caught Meredith roll her eyes.

As hopeful as she was regarding her roommate situation—roommates are like built in friends, so surely it will be significantly better than living in Derek's trailer, because there's no possible way it could be worse—she could admit that maybe, she was being a bit too optimistic.

Maneuvering her way past Izzie, Cassie finally reached their shared bathroom; there were boxes in front of the door, and so with all the strength she could muster, she pushed them out of the way. As she did, George came storming back down the hall, and ran into the boxes with a thud.

The toothbrush fell out of his mouth and onto the carpet. Cassie smiled at him, half-apologetic, and half-wondering if she subconsciously did it on purpose.

George only narrowed his eyes at her before saying loudly. "Hey Izzie, you know, Cass has the biggest room out of all of us, right?"

Izzie paused, and slowly turned her attention onto Cassie, who almost slapped George across the face.

"Yeah, you're right, I have more clothes than her too."