Just A Dream

I sat up with a start. That was two hundred years ago. Now it was just my brother and I, we had nice house, we paid off our mortgage and had a nice lifestyle, but I was still in morning for the loss of mother, father and little Lilith. Caleb had a job, but I didn’t go to school, I didn’t quite see the point in learning things I already knew. So I decided today I would for a walk. I slipped out of bed, got dressed in my normal clothes and ate breakfast. “Cal, I’m going out for a walk.” I told him, he went by Cal now.

“Alright Kat, but be careful.” He told me.

“How old do you think I am?” I sighed as I put on my coat.

“I know, I just worry, you remember.” He sighed. “Love you.”

“I love you too.” I answered, kissing his cheek before going out. My brother would be at work by the time I got in so I thought I’d spend the day in the meadow I loved so much. So I did. I lay in the grass looking up at the clouds, humming the song I once sang two hundred years ago. Halfway through the day I heard footsteps, I sat up fearfully, but it was just a boy. About sixteen, good looking, but weren’t they meant to be in school? When he saw me he too looked surprised. Half of me screamed to get up and run but I was now intrigued, so I got to my feet and walked up to him, eyebrow cocked. “Who are you?” I asked.

“Kayne.” He replied. “Meaning-”

“Warlike in Irish Gaelic, I know.” I cut him off.  “My name means pure in Greek, it’s Katharina.”

“What was that song you were singing?” He asked. I yet again raised my eyebrows. “Well, that was the reason I came over here.”

“A song I used to sing to my little sister, Lilith.” I answered. “Willow Waly it’s called. But I don’t sing it anymore.” I delicately lowered myself to the ground.

“Why?” He asked. “It’s so beautiful.”

“It is.” I agreed. “But I just don’t.” I fiddled with my hip length light blonde hair, it was a dirty light shade and I wasn’t all that fond of it, but I had it well kept. Mother would always tell me I had beautiful hair, but I never really listened. Her last moments flashed before my eyes, making me flinch.

Kayne jumped too. “What?” He asked.

I sighed and shook my head. “Nothing.” Then a question popped in my head. “What are you even doing here, skiving?” I asked.

He sighed. “I’m skiving.” He admitted. “What about you? I’ve never seen you around here before.”

“I don’t go to school.” I shrugged. “I don’t especially see the point. My parents homeschooled me and because I picked up quite quickly I have learnt everything now, I avoided the point I’d been learning for more the eight hundred years.

“Cool, I wish I’d learn everything as quick as you, you’re what, fifteen?” He asked, sitting too.

“Fourteen.” I answered. “You?”

“Sixteen.” He replied, what a guess. “What are you, some sort of genius?”

I shrugged but nodded. “I guess. I’d tutor you but my brother would go mad.”

“He doesn’t need to know.” He answered.  I stared at him for a few seconds in thought. Kayne chuckled quietly to himself. “You’re so cute when you’re thinking.”

Then it hit me, why he looked so familiar. “Is-is your mother called Lorelei, by any chance?” I asked.

“Yeah, everyone says-” He started.

“You look just like her.” I finished. “One minute.” I told him, standing up and walking off as I was walking I whipped out my phone. Quickly, I phoned my brother’s bar, he was the landlord and as well as a bar it was kind of a hotel too.