Chapter 1, Part 6: A New Assignment

Part 6

Two days later Dax saw Scarlet approaching across the parade ground towards Squad D’s afternoon practice. His friend had on his dress uniform with most of his medals pinned to his breast. “So where are you off to dressed like that? Going off to meet nobility?” Dax said when Scarlet arrived.

Scarlet flicked an imaginary speck of dust from his lapel. “In a manner of speaking. A delegation from East Landly arrived shortly after LRC this noon. I’ve been sent to tell you we are having a reception and dinner in their honor at the Commandant’s residence tonight. You’ll need to get ready.”

“Renshau said he has some work in mind for me in East Landly. Does he mean to get you involved as well?”

“He’s probably afraid you’d get into trouble on your own,” Scarlet said.

“But, there’s mainly politics involved this time,” Dax chided.

“All the more reason for someone there to watch your back. Those politicians are much more dangerous than the Mencadi.”

He nodded his head in agreement. “There’s no doubt in my mind, Scarlet. None at all.”

Dax called Tri Hanny over. “I have been summoned to a meeting,” he said to her. “If you don’t mind, I’ll leave you to finish up.”

Hanny smiled shyly at Scarlet, “Hello, Major Scarlet.” Then she turned to Dax. “Yes, Sir. We won’t be too much longer. Since Company 3’s trials are day after tomorrow, I was going to keep it short. The coding team will probably practice later tonight. That seems to be all they think about these days.”

“Sounds perfect,” Dax said. “I will see you tomorrow.” He gave her a crisp salute which she returned with a smile. She also exchanged salutes with Scarlet. Recreation period was casual time, but Dax knew Hanny enjoyed the ritual.

Scarlet briefed him on the way back to his room. The two of them were going to travel to East Landly in a few weeks to meet the king. Once they had agreed on terms, they would travel  in late summer with the king’s representatives to the actual negotiations in West Landly. He and Scarlet would act in the role of advisors to the actual negotiators.

After Dax had changed into his dress uniform, he walked with Scarlet along the main concourse where the companies were assembling to march to DRC in the dining hall. As he approached Company 3, First Classman Polver called his company to attention and formally greeted the two officers. Dax returned the salute amused to notice the number of eyes that followed him as he walked past. Only the eyes followed him, not the heads—the company was at attention. Although as Advising Officer for Squad D, the members of the company had seen him many times, he had always had on his plain black officer’s day coat. This evening he wore his commander’s uniform with its broad sash of medals across his chest. It made him feel something like a peacock, but the East Landly reception was a formal affair.

The Commandant’s house buzzed with activity. Renshau came out to meet them and escorted them into the library where the delegation from East Landly was enjoying drinks before dinner. Renshau introduced him to Deputy Ambassador Rass Carmodi first. The man rose from the couch where he had been sitting. “Ah, Commander Daxdendraig, our advisor-to-be on all things about West Landly. Commandant Renshau has told me many good things about you. The best part is, since he is dragon-bound, I know they all must be true!”

The ambassador was a bit jolly with drink, and Dax smiled in response. “I only hope I can be of some service.”

“Of course you can. You will be traveling with me to West Landly where I will carry out the negotiations. My father, the ambassador would dearly love to do it himself, but he is advanced in years, and our king wants someone who could travel back and forth between the capitals to make sure all the details are exactly correct. Besides, father still has his ambassadorial duties to look after.”