Fourty-Eight

Lea's POV --

Lana's footsteps were clear as day from just outside my bedroom door. She paced, two to about six steps forward and duplicate of that amount, going back the opposite direction. If I held the powers of mind over matter, I wouldn't hesitate to instantly block her out so I'd be able to concentrate. Not that there was anything important I needed to thoroughly concentrate on, I ultimately just yearned for some peace and quiet.

At this very moment, I was too busy eyeing myself in the mirror to even complete my simple task of trying on my prom dress for the last time, this afternoon.

You see, after yesterday's little episode, both Lana and myself were in our own separate gutters. I was too caught up in the fact that Jason actually kissed me and it's blatantly obvious what stirred Lana's mind. It's not like the argument between them stopped the moment we were miles away from him, no that'd be absurd. I mean, come on, it's Lana and Ace we're talking about. In fact, Lana and Ace argued the rest of the night on their cellphones. That is of course until Lana happened to glance at the calendar, placed in front of our refrigerator door, and finally realized what special events were soon to come. Then, we went to pick up my dress and the rest is history.

So now here I am, staring at the mirror placed just a few feet ahead of me. I wore nothing besides my bra and underwear. My hair looked as if I hadn't brushed it in days, even if Lana's curls were still somewhat visible. I didn't look over my body, there wasn't much to see anyway, I was plain and undesirable in my eyes. However, the only thing I enjoyed admiring was the tattoo underneath my right breast. If the scar had been any higher, my bra would have covered a good portion of Jason's magnificent artwork. I guess I'll have to thank my mother later for aiming the knife just right. Ha ha.

Lana knocks on the door gently, asks me how I'm making out and then finishes off her eager statements by reminding me not to stretch the dress out. I don't respond, instead I move from the spot where I rested and grab the red gown on my bed. It truly was a beautiful dress, I have to admit that Lana actually did succeed in finding something I wouldn't reject within three seconds of laying eyes on it. I wanted to dress simple, since it was only Junior Prom and I expect to go all out next year of course. The dress was long and the silky texture of it added a great sense of coolness to it. At the top, there happens to be a wide opening for my chest and I couldn't help but wish I had bigger breasts to fill in such a gap, however that wasn't my main focus. The midsection is tightened to fit around my waist securely and give myself some kind of curve and as for the rest, it flows towards the ground like an everlasting waterfall of redness.

I place the dress back down and begin dressing myself again. I've tried the dress on a total of ten times last night and fives time today, I don't think I'll have any technical difficulties tomorrow night. So I pull on a pair of shorts and a crop top then take one final look at myself in the mirror. I was showing so much skin for the first time in my life and I wasn't ashamed of it.

"It's fine." I finally say and trudge to my door, both unlocking and pulling it open.

My sister was standing just across from me, one arm folded over her stomach and the other folded upward at the elbow so she could nibble on her thumbnail. Immediately, she looks me up and down, unmistakably disappointed that I wasn't wearing the dress although she's already see me in it more than than anyone else ever will.