ten

It was strangely welcoming, the house at the top of the hill and Estella knew that it should be unnerving, a long since abandoned house, all the horror movies and books told her that she should be chilled just as the sight of it but as she stood beside the Uley man a few feet from the empty doorway- it felt so painfully welcoming, urging her to step forward through that empty arch. One hugely noticeable thing to Estella... Was that it had a wrap-around porch. It was beautiful, like a house from a fairytale and she was sure her face was oddly gobsmacked- she had seen it before, of course, but never before had she looked at it so intently, imagined it as a house that could be lived in.

"What do you think?" Sam questioned and oddly, she felt as though he really cared. This was the last house on the reservation, the road stopped right there in the front yard, never having been made longer and her eyes dropped to it, turning around to look back the way they came- they could see the entire reservation from up there, even the beach in the distance.

"I think it's beautiful," and there was so much sincerity as her eyes assessed every inch of the house. She didn't see an abandoned house on a hill, she saw what it would one day be. "You should bring Leah here, Sam. I really think she will love it when she sees it." she gushed and he swallowed softly, unheard by her. "What are you thinking of doing with it?"

"I think I want to keep it how it is, maybe cut this porch at the corners, shrink it down so it's just across the front here..." he gestured across the house in front of him and she frowned, unaware that she was doing so. Sam's eyes seemed to be attracted to that little dent on her forehead, reading a hundred emotions from it- He had never understood someone so easily before, it was as if he knew every thought just from the way they were painted on her face... And he didn't even know her yet. "Or maybe not?"

"What? No, it's your house. The front porch thing is good," she nodded.

"But you're frowning at the idea?" Sam chipped in, but he wasn't angry... He was concerned maybe, upset?

"It really doesn't matter what I think Sam, I'll probably never even come here when it's finished," she laughed gently. "I think Leah will approve of the porch idea. She likes more ... Modern things."

"But it's not Leah's house, not yet. It's mine, I'm signing the paperwork next week- I didn't tell her yet because she's angry enough already. But, I want to do this the right way. I want it to be perfect." he breathed somewhat dreamily as he looked at the house. There was so much determination on his face as they stood under the moon and stars, because this was the first thing he was ever really doing for himself, for so long he had been doing things for his mother, and then for Leah. And now, he was doing something for himself and he had never wanted something so badly as to step back away from the house that he had helped to restore. And know that it was his.

"In which case, if you're really asking for my opinion" she smiled and he nodded encouragingly. "Keep the porch, it suits the house, and if you cut down these trees across here and use the wood for the house, you'll be able to see the whole reservation from that window" she pointed to the upstairs window in the centre of the house and he nodded, listening to each word as if it was sacred.

"Would you like to go inside?" he smiled warmly and she blinked at him in slight fear and hesitation.

"Is it safe?"

"Of course, I wouldn't ever let you get hurt, Estella," he breathed and there was something so oddly assuring about his tone that she believed him the second he said it. Slowly they hopped up the stairs, feeling them groan beneath them as they entered the house together and she was instantly in awe again as she looked around the large entrance hall- it was stunning, a winding staircase twisting largely around the room high above them.

"I have... An offer for you" she hummed, turning to him with crossed arms and Sam quirked a brow in curiosity. "When my parent's car went through the bridge, I got given a big payout..."

"What are you saying?" he frowned.

"Let me give you some money for your house," she attempted, looking at him seriously and he instantly gaped like a fish in pure shock and confusion.

"Estella..." he started, not even knowing what to say, where to begin denying her offer. Estella meant the world to him, but she didn't know that yet, she didn't know that he was anything but the man who was marrying her cousin. He was shocked and his mind was instantly reeling in shock.

"Please, Sam. That money--- I don't want it. It's dirty money, it's money I was given because my parents died. How ridiculous is that? I already have money that they left me. And I want you and Leah to have a good place to live, I want to see this place looking beautiful," she gushed, overcome with emotions as she babbled and he smiled tightly, taking her shoulders and turning her to face him. Estella instantly jolted in shock, feeling bolts of warm comfort shooting through her veins, it was like the most relaxing electric shock in the world and she was obsessed. It was enough to shut up her babbling.

"Listen to me, Estella. I have enough money, okay? Keep that... If I really am struggling... You'll be the first person I'll speak to."

"You promise?"

"I promise. Now let's get out of here before you catch hypothermia," he chuckled and nudged his head toward the door. Estella vaguely found it humorous that he was considering her catching hypothermia while he was the one in just a t-shirt.