Nikki Meets Life

Chapter 1

The small girl screamed and pouted as I combed the section of her kinky hair. Her grandmother watched me while biting her nails. I rolled my eyes to the back of my head once she informed me to be less harsh. Before they even arrived I dreaded having to face this little girl's spoiled ass. "Yes ma'am."

Gently removing the comb, I turned around and grabbed my flat iron. Jasmine, the small girl, flinched from the heat. Her grandmother patted her leg and smiled at me, but I could see the discomfort in her brown eyes. As I straightened her hair, the news came back on.

"A shoot out involving three gang members and New York Police Department transpired in Queens just last night. Two of the men were able to escape on feet being unidentified. Unfortunately, a member whose name is being withheld suffered gunshot wounds to his left leg and arm. He is currently in ICU and facing serious time. If you have any information on these two men, please contact authorities soon."

A blurry image of the two suspects appeared on my TV screen. I gasped while covering my mouth. "AHH!" Jasmine cried out in pain. I fumbled to release her hair and treat the burn but she had grabbed her ear and ran straight to her cooing grandmother.

"That's enough. I will pay you forty dollars for your service and I will finish the rest. Thank you but no thank you, Nikki." She grabbed their belongings, say the money down and disappeared.

As soon as she opened the door, Bo greeted them before closing the door behind them. I was busy cleaning my equipment to even deal with his shit at the moment. My hair looked a mess itself and let's not even start on how I slept alone. My boyfriend was too busy shooting at police to come cuddle with me, and assure me that everything would be fine.

"I just lost my mother, Bo.. To a senseless act of violence. Does everything have to be about you? We're all going through something but it seems as if you want the world to stop because you having problems."

Bo spoke, "I never asked nobody to sympathize for me. I was about to get robbed at the liquor store so I took matters into my own hand. It so happen one of 'dem bumbaclots had snatched mi gun when I use the restrooms. Those pigs no stop my show try to make me bad guy on the screen. They know mi got family at home and they wann kill me-"

I walked away not caring to hear his drunken rant. It was broad daylight and he had to be drunk and showing his smelly ass. Grabbing my wash rag, I headed towards the bathroom. With my stress gnawing at me I deserved a moment of relaxation. I deserved to be treated sometimes too but we just didn't have it like that.

Yes, he sold drugs and I worked a legal job yet I felt like both of us were busting our asses to make a fool of ourselves. I could remember seeing my coworker draped in the finest designer but Bo and I could only afford knockoffs. The women bragged about their new fits and hair while I listened in pure envy.

They told stories of how their men took them this place and that place. Bo couldn't even treat me to a dinner. But he was my man and I fought for him, loved him, and cared for him. I respected everything he stood for. It wasn't about the money. That man was damn good to me and I was in love with my best friend. That was the end of it.

The water blended well with my tears as I cried. His large hands landed on my sides and I turned around, wrapping my arms around Bo. He kissed my forehead while rubbing my back. He smelled so good and felt even better. I just missed him even when he was here, craving his touch and attention.

After all he was the only person I had left. My mother was killed, robbed by a homeless male, and raped. Her body was dumped into the back of a dumpster. She was found by a garbage man who seen her body beneath the trash. The autopsy found she was also strangled with a cord, and the suspect was bought in a month later, looking as guilty as they came. That was only a month ago but it felt like Yesterday.

"Stop cryin those tears." Bo pushed my damp hair back before kissing my forehead again. Slowly wrapping my legs around him, he picked me up and looked into my eyes. I gave him a small smile as he smirked while leaning in. I met him halfway for an intense kiss which lasted for all of two minutes.

"YO, get out the water and come holla at ya boy. I got some good news." Sheldon, Bo's friend, shouted from outside the door. I sighed heavily once remembering we gave him the key because he needed a place to cook up for Bo because their trap was being watched. It always slipped our minds to retrieve the key because he was nowhere near responsible.

"Let me handle dis then I meet you in da room for mi to sex you up." I laughed at his accent caressing each word as they left his soft, suckable lips.

"OK, daddy."

I kissed him again before he lowered me then stepped out with my towel wrapped around him. Their voices could be heard as they greeted one another. Smiling, I realized that maybe things weren't so bad and we still had some good people in our hectic lives. Also we had made good decisions so far and the future would only get better.

It was our choice what we'd do with that.