Chapter 1 | past

"Jack ? Babe I'm leaving now "I called from the door , lingering longer just to hear his voice .
"Hold up , I'll drive you!" I urged him to hurry up , not wanting to be late for my appointment .

me and jack had been dating for a little over 3 years . He was on tour a lot with his band but it really was nothing . It all started at the little cafe not far from Thames street . I (being the clumsy idiot I am) spilt my coffee down jack , some how he laughed it off and we ended up hanging out , more and more until he gathered the balls to ask me out .

It was almost in humane how close we were , I'm not on about those soppy couples you see . Sure we had our moments where we would go on a romantic date , maybe cuddle on the beach , but most of the time it was just me and jack hanging out , like best friends do .

By the time I got back into our apartment , the sun was shining it's last goodbyes making the sky a peachy cocktail of sky and clouds over the skyline of Baltimore. I smiled as I saw Jack's silver car drag itself to the kurb and the driver's door fling open and Jack's head peep out like an animal out of hiding . He popped open the boot and pulled out white plastic bags , two on one hand , one on the other . I assumed he had brought back chinese (which made sense to me as I asked for chinese ) so I skipped my way to the kitchen area , sliding my hand over the marble top on the breakfast bar and swung open the cupboard an arms reach away . I took out several plates and one glass knowing Jack would most likely grab a beer .

"Yo , I got-" the voice combined with the front door opening caused me to yelp , which was silly seeing as I literally just saw Jack make his way into the apartment block , but it still suprised me . He chuckled softly and placed the bags on the floor then stretching his arms for me to run into. Which , of course , I did  before going back to the plates and setting out the napkins .

"So how did it go at the doctors ?" Jack asked with a mouthful of rice , " fine , told you i'm healthy unlike you" i giggled and gestured to his beer with my fork , he scrunched up his nose , his brows furrowing as he stared at the beer in his hand . " Beer isn't that bad , is it ?" he half-laughed i was about to reply but Jack continued " I mean in moderation like this one beer wont kill me " i nodded my head  agreeing , obviously on beer wouldnt harm him but Jack didnt exactly drink 'in moderation' seeing as he went out most weekends to the rockwell , which i couldnt really use as a prime example seeing as he co-owned the bar , but still ; it resulted in Jack binge drinking . If I was honest with myself , it did scare me a little but jack always seemed to turn my serious talks to just a big laugh .... which come to think of it was also bad.

I turned to the softly snoring Jack beside me , I was hit with the sudden reaisation that ; this was Jack , my Jack , my bestfriend since highschool Jack . The 16 year old me wouldn't of thought even for a second that I would be with my bestfriend for my entire life... or even for a month would of astonished me. Yet here I was and it made me think;

An entire lifetime was , obviously , a long time . It made questions wizz around my mind , would I get tired of him? Would he get tired of me ? Would we get in a massive argument ? Will our lives be full of happiness? The scenes made my stomach sink , it made my hands clench the red sheets in fear, in shock. The image of Jack shouting terrified me purely because it would be a different character  to what I had grown up with and loved , his soft eyes would be grim and dark , his cute little smile would mould into a sneer . I couldn't imagine it ... no I had imagined it , so vividly that I had to take a second look at the sleeping Jack .

 Then I realised how stupid I was being , Jack wouldn't do that , he couldn't do that. Jack was'nt an angry person he always searched for the silver lining . But what if I had cheated on him , of course I wouldn't even dare to but what if I had ? Nobody would see the bright side of that , not even jack . Then what wpuld happen ?

As I continued to play each scenario in my head , my eyes became heavier , each blink astruggle to re-open my sore eyes but I was determind to stay awake until these thoughts were eluded .