Chapter Two

"Raleigh!" A scream startled me into a stop and I turned around to see Megan walking down the school corridor towards me.

"Dear God, do you have to scare me like that?" I chastised her with my hands on my chest and taking deep breaths to calm my heart.

"Yes. You are so deaf! I've been calling your name for the past five minutes!" She said, wheezing.

"Oops?"

Throwing a glare over her shoulder, she started dragging me in the opposite direction.

"Where are you taking me?" I said, twisting my arm, trying to break free. Damn, she was strong.

"Nuh-uh. The question is, where were you going?"

"To the Library. I was going to get some last minute revision done before my Biology test first lesson." I was panting now. She was fast too.

"Oof" I breathed out as I banged into Meg's back as she suddenly stopped, "What the heck, Meg?"

"You are hopeless! We texted you to come to our corridor before classes." She looked pissed, with her arms crossed and her glare about to melt me into a pool of flesh goo.

"You did? My phone is still switched off, sorry." I said sheepishly, pulling my phone out of my bag and turning it back on. I always turned my cell off during the night because of the all the horror stories you hear about radiation and cancer nowadays.

"I don't know why you even bother with that phone if you're not going to use it."

With that ear-biting sentence, she took off, not bothering to check if I was following. Oh no, she hasn't given up. She knows that I will go after her. If I didn't, I will never hear the end of it; she can be quite creative with her punishments. I still haven't gotten all the chewing gum out of every single pair of my jeans after I ditched her for my Prefect meetings.

Huffing out a sigh of frustration, I tried to catch up with her as she speed-walked to our corridor. Yes, I mean our corridor. In Year 7, me, Megs and Holly were off looking for a lunch spot. We were about to just go back to the cafeteria when we stumbled upon the most perfect space ever. It was a little corridor connecting the Arts and the Maths building. It was an abandoned one and we turned it into our hang-out. It has been seven years now and we still own that spot. Grace and Cassie were a new addition to our group last year, after they joined our sixth form.

There was still fifteen minutes left till the bell as we reached our spot. Everyone was already there. Holly was standing with her back to the wall, her eyes glued to her phone. She is one of those really beautiful girls and boys just throw themselves at her. Of course, she absolutely enjoys every single ounce of that attention.

Grace and Cassie were on the floor huddled around their bags and were whispering in little voices. We called them the Shy Twins because they were so reserved and, well, shy unless they were with each other. They transferred here together and they were already close enough to be sisters. Holly and the Shy Twins never got along. If Meg or I weren't there, they refrained from engaging in any kind of communication.

"Well, look who it is! I bet Meg had to drag you here, didn't she?" Holly screeched, her hands going to her hips as she squinted at me threateningly.

"Maybe." I squeaked out and went to sit beside the twins. Holly and Meg were a lot alike. When they got angry, you did not want to be near them.

"You are such a geek, Leigh. Can't you give it a rest for at least a day? You are going to fry your brain." Holly sighed.

This was always a problem with me. They wanted me to be 'wild' and go out almost every day but, however much I wanted to, I couldn't. People believed that because I got good grades, that I was a genius but that just was not true. I had to work to my bone so that I could get the grades my parents wanted me to get. That means I have to study everyday because I did really hard subjects for my A-Levels.