Chapter 1

Travelling alone was awkward. Will decided he didn't much like it.

Beneath him, Tug snorted.

You're not alone, thank you, the little horse seemed to be saying. Pushing his loneliness to the side, Will smiled at the animal.

"You're right. Sorry, Tug," Will conceded, patting the gray horse on the neck.

Tug shook his mane, and Will hoped that meant the horse had decided to accept his apology.

Will slouched in his saddle, pulling his cowl further over his head. His eyes scanned the horizon slowly, watching for any sudden movement. The only thing he could see was the branches of the nearby trees and the grass around him blowing slightly in the wind.

He sighed.

"It's just," he started again, telling himself that he was talking to his horse and not himself to clear his conscience. The last thing he needed on his first solo journey was to go completely insane by talking to himself. "I always have Halt with me. He doesn't say much, but he's good company. And he's always had my back. This just feels... creepy."

Tug turned his head to the side, one dark eye looming up to stare at Will.

Better get used to it. You're in your last year of training.

Will swallowed thickly. That was true. He was nearing his graduation ceremony. The thought unsettled Will.

Of course, he felt much more prepared than he had years ago, when he had first began his training with Halt. And though Will didn't know it, he was the most capable trainee that Crowley, Halt, or any of the other senior Rangers had seen in years. Will's skill with a bow, along with his stealth skills, were nearly unmatched, aside from those of Halt, Crowley and Gilan themselves.

Still, Will had always felt the reassuring presence of his mentor at his side, ready to step in and help if Will ever made a mistake. Or, Will thought gloomily, if he'd ever gotten himself in trouble. Which he had managed to do multiple times in the past five years.

Suddenly, the idea of being a full fledged Ranger wasn't so excited.

Will opened his mouth to explain this new concern to Tug, but his words died in his throat as the little horse's ears pricked up. Trying his best to ignore the panic that rose in his chest, sending his heart beating wildly, Will slouched further in the saddle to appear unconcerned in case there were any onlookers. He didn't want to let on that he was aware of their presence. Not yet, anyway.

"Where?" Will asked his horse softly, and Tug shook his mane, turning his head ever so slightly to the left.

Will patted him on the neck.

"Good boy," he said, and Tug relaxed, knowing that his warning had been seen.

Will rode on for several more minutes in silence, never once seeming to be aware or concerned about any part of his surroundings. Inside his cloak's hood, however, his eyes were scanning the left side of the path. There were plenty of trees there, as opposed to the grassy field on the right side of the road. Naturally, any person looking to attack someone would choose the wooded area for cover.

Finally, Will caught a glimpse of movement just inside the treeline. Once he saw the person, he never lost sight of him again. Will watched as the man slinked along the edge of the woods, following Will just slightly in front of him. That was an odd way to travel, Will thought. Especially if the man was trying to follow Will. Moving in front of the Ranger would mean the man was having to constantly turn around to watch Will's progress.