I'll Miss You

I’ll Miss You

Chloe took another long look at the pictures in the hallway. She started with the pictures of her mom and dad when they first met. She looked at their wedding pictures and then at her own baby pictures. Chloe smiled looking at a picture of her mom in the hospital with a tiny baby in her arms. Chloe smiled knowing that she was that baby. Chloe stepped forward and saw her first few dance pictures. Chloe felt tears form in her eyes. She moved on to when Clara was born, and then there were a ton of pictures of her and her sister. Chloe looked at all of the Dance Moms pictures. Chloe smiled, remembering all of the fun times dancing every weekend. And then she remembered all of the tears and heartbreak that came with it. She sighed and looked through her high school pictures. She stopped when she saw her final Abby Lee Dance Company picture that was hung right next to her high school graduation picture.

“Ready to go?” Josh whispered.

Chloe had reached the end of the hall. She wrapped her arms around Josh’s neck and kissed him on the lips. Their two year old relationship was slowly dwindling away. Chloe would be going off to New York to college and Josh would be staying in Pittsburgh.

“Yep,” Chloe smiled. “Hold on.”

Chloe walked back into her old bedroom and took a good long look at her Senior Miss Pennsylvania crown and trophy. Chloe grabbed her purse off of her bare bed. She grabbed a group picture of her and her dance friends and shoved it in her purse before taking her house keys, and walking out of her bedroom. Chloe hopped down the stairs with a brave face on. She saw Clara sitting on the floor, in front of the door with her face buried in her hands, crying.

“Okay, Clare.” Chloe said. “I have to leave now. Come give me one last hug!”

Clara shakily stood up and wrapped her arms around Chloe’s torso and cried into her old Disneyland sweatshirt, taking deep, heavy breaths. Chloe hugged Clara and kissed her forehead. Clara didn’t let go.

“Be good, Clara. I’ll be back in November for Thanksgiving.” Chloe said before walked out of the house and down to the car. Chloe quickly said goodbye to her mom with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. 

Chloe climbed into Josh’s car. In New York, Chloe wouldn’t need a car, so she left hers at home. The drive to the airport had begun. Josh and Chloe had been friends ever since Paige and Chloe had been. The three of them had a trio together when they all danced, but once Josh turned eight, he quiet. He played hockey and even got a scholarship for it.

Josh and Chloe grew closer as friends the last few years. He still lived at home, going to school close by. Chloe would hang out with Paige every weekend, so Josh and Chloe grew friendlier than they had been when they were little. They had kissed once, but that was in middle school when Josh was a player.

Josh was the only person Chloe knew she could call to take her to the airport. Her mom couldn’t she had just had surgery, and her dad was away at work. Chloe was going off to college in New York. She would be attending Julliard, and she couldn’t be more excited. All her dreams were coming true.

Josh and Chloe held up small talk until they got to the airport. As instructed, Josh walked her all the way to the gate. They arrive with just moments to spare.

“Flight 17 to New York is now boarding.”

“Go get ‘em kid.” Josh said and punched Chloe’s bicep lightly.

Chloe smiled and hugged Josh, “I’ve always loved you.”

Chloe let go, grabbed her purse off of the floor and walked off. She waved to Josh and boarded the plane.

“Wait, Chlobird.” Josh called, but she was gone.

Josh walked to the window. He waited there and watched the plane take off. He put his hand on the window and whispered, “You’re the only one I’ve ever loved.”

He took his hand off of the window and saw his hand print. He shoved his hands in his pockets and walked back to the front of the airport and out to his car. He drove home in silence. He took a detour and went to the lake he hung out with Chloe, Paige, and Mikey that summer. He let his feet dangle over the water as he sat on the small dock. He skipped a few rocks and smoked a cigarette, something he only did every so often. He climbed back into his car and drove home.

As he walked into his house, Paige attacked him with questions. “Did you do it? Did you tell her?”

Josh looked at her, “No. She left before I could say a word.”