issue thirty-first: building bridges that weren't there

"How bad was it?"

I sighed and nuzzled against his neck. "You'll recover. You're so much better than that."

It was well past midnight. Our naked bodies lay snuggling comfortably together. He lay flat on his back as I rested half on top of him, our legs entwined. I couldn't believe how perfect, how natural, how comfortable it felt. I had struggled to love my body all my life, but tonight, he had loved it enough for both of us.

He sighed as I gazed up at him. He was biting his bottom lip and I had the sudden urge to lean over and suck on it gently. For a while, I had been desperate to go all the way with him. To have him make love to me. But I knew it was going to require more preparation than I had. I hugged him close, my heart full. I didn't want to rush things despite what my body wanted. 

He gazed down at me. I had come to realise that his dark eyes looked black under dim lights. It seemed like such an obvious thing. How come I hadn't noticed it before? 

I sidled closer to him, even though there was zero space between us already. "It was the opening match, Wilder. And...with everything that happened, it is understandable."

He sighed, "There's just...such a lot riding on this, Nico," he spoke softly, gazing upwards. Perhaps subconsciously, his hand stroked my back from where he was hugging me close. I could smell his seductive scent, feel his comforting warmth. I decided that the Universe was rewarding me.

He rested his chin on top of my head as he spoke, "My dad was so pissed after the opening match...I was almost sure he was going to go off again, but..." he shuddered slightly and instinctively I held him closer. "He didn't."

"I...I'm also a little concerned about school," I said softly, groaning when I thought about it. "I mean... things have been pretty rough for you."

"That reminds me, I'll be leaving really early tomorrow for practice," he said as I nodded and moved so we were face to face. "Aren't you going to...call and tell your mom where you are?"

I bit my lip and shook my head. Maybe I was being immature, irresponsible by not telling her. But I had always been compliant about all of her wishes. This one time, there was no way I was going to give in. "I think..." my breath caught when he held my hand in his, opening it so our palms connected. The sweet gesture sent a surge of warmth through my chest. "I think I'll..give her some space. Hopefully...she will come around."

He nodded. "I think she will. I just...I just hope it wasn't something she would have to come around to, you know?"

I nodded, resting my had against his chest and closing my eyes. It was heavenly, to lie cocooned in his warmth. Like for once, I could forget about the world. My heart ached. When had I fallen so insanely in love with him?

"Wilder..." I whispered after a while, my throat tight. "I love you."

He took in a deep breath, kissing the top of my head gently. "I love you too, Nico. So fucking much." He held me tightly. When he spoke, there was laughter in his voice, "I love you...Nugget."

I laughed and leaned away, nuzzling my nose with his. "I'm not gonna say Slenderman because it's creepy but I do love you, Wilder."

He grinned up at me, his eyes glittering mischievously. He looked carefree, happy. And once again in his enchanting eyes, I could see the beautiful bird that had saved me.

                                                                                 *

I fell into a dreamless sleep. It took me a while to remember everything that had happened after I woke up and I felt my heart seize when I remembered I wasn't in my home. The events of last night returned to me, crashing against me violently. Why hadn't my mom called me? Or maybe she had but my phone was probably dead by now. I didn't even know where it was. Last I remembered it was in the pocket of my jeans which was now probably scattered on the floor somewhere.