Chapter Two: Don't Get Too Comfortable

Hello hello hello! The Italics here represent Xero's thoughts. They aren't directed at the audience, instead they form a 3rd person omniscient feel to the story as you readers have access to her mind, pretty much throughout the story. There are Easter eggs planted within them, so make sure you pay attention. Maybe you'll even be able to predict what happens next :)

*Swishes dark cape and disappears*

Enjoy...

---

Open–my eyes adjusted to the dim lighting as I blinked up. My limbs twitched as I let my senses out for a run around the room, stifled by their closeness overnight. The still air hit me like a sledgehammer–I gingerly rubbed away the goosebumps from my bare arms.

As I lifted myself from the tough mattress, I ran my fingers through my raven hair, freeing it from the tangles birthed by the perils of nightfall. My chapped bottom lip curled into my mouth as I made quick work of the wayward strands, mercilessly forcing them in line.

With a sigh, I shuffled to the opposing grey wall, adding another line to the tally with one of my many broken fingernails. I huffed out a groan as I attempted to dislodge the dirt from underneath them.

Hygiene wasn't as important to my Maker as it was to some others. I got the bare minimum to groom, but I had more than most could ask for in nutrients, so I couldn't complain.

As my senses drew close again, I felt desperate claustrophobia set in like a deep ache in my bones. It was almost as if the walls were inching closer with every tally. With no windows or vents, I couldn't feel for much other than the temperature. Time faded altogether. The only way I stayed aware was through the routine.

Despite all the effort my Maker went through in securing my wing, I had known how to escape when I was around thirteen years old. But I stayed anyway, shackled like an elephant to a tiny concrete ball. Contained and controlled. Detained.

All things considered, this was home, no matter how musky, dim, and aloof. To leave here would have me abandon everything I'd ever known. Where else would I go?

A buzzer.

I turned to my metal barred door as the hatch opened, intrigue sliding over my skin like oil as a security guard bellowed through it. "Subject Xero. Rise and shine! Get your ass up and out to the cafeteria."

The bars seemed to bend out of the way of the callous voice, but I beamed at it. I could recognise it anywhere. It brought a bout of warmth onto my cool skin as I revelled in the sound. My coiled muscles relaxed.

A taunting grin graced my features as I sauntered up to the hatch. Right on time. I snuck a peek, catching a glimpse that confirmed what I already knew to be true: a curly mane of hair and deep, warm-toned skin. My smirk widened.

Andy.

I barely had a second to take him in before a flash of glitter had my body springing into action. I frowned at the unfamiliar wrapper as it concluded its flight to my awaiting fingers. Pour moi?

I read the answer to my question in his face. It was crunchy and cold–slippery almost–and stuck to itself in weird angles, like a bow. My frown deepened the longer I stared. I hadn't seen plastic packaging like this before.

Not having the patience to unpack it, I tore the odd capsule clean off with a single slice. My eyes widened as the vision of beauty took up every one of my senses. Sweet. Soft. Mine.

My face lit up as my gaze shifted between him and my newfound precious, unable to believe my eyes. Chocolate is the closest thing I could use to describe heaven in a place like this. Especially when it's warm.