Chapter 2: Preparations

The stone wall behind Kin's back was cold and slimy from the rain. He inched another step to the left and focused on the next anchor point. He checked the knot and tugged the rope to make absolutely certain it was secure.

Kin glanced at the door to the carriage. Through the pounding rain the faint light from beyond that door carried the same potential comfort as a roaring fireplace. It would have to wait.

The carriage wasn't the type that Kin was accustomed to riding in. All six wheels were large and sturdy. The rear portion of the carriage was designed to hold up to four passengers, though far from comfortably. In this case it would be carrying only one, as Kin had insisted that he ride alone with his equipment and not in the same carriage as Leonysus. The carriage lacked any decoration. The workmanship was boring and utilitarian.

The front deck of the carriage, which Kin stood beside at this moment, was essentially a large flat area for goods to be transported on. On that wooden bed lay Kin's most prized possessions - his tools.

While there would be a workshop at their destination each Artificer had their own set of tools - many crafted by hand by the Artificer themselves. Every line, every buckle and strap, every box was aligned perfectly to ensure their safety. The least valuable apparatus, tools designed for bending, banging, twisting and forging steel were all arranged around the outside of the carriage to protect the more sensitive surgical and alchemical instruments in the center.

Near the back of the load close to the passenger compartment was a long black box. Water pooled in the deepest of the elegant carvings on the top. Inside lay Kin's grandfather. Kin had decided against having his prized legacy ride in the carriage.

As Kin passed the front of the carriage he saw the single open seat at the front that housed the driver. Kin wrinkled his nose slightly as he passed the twisted little man that occupied that chair. Kin guessed that if the man stood up straight he might be five feet tall. Not that there was any chance this man had stood up from that seat in the last month - or possibly year.

The driver's lifeless eyes were fixed forward, unblinking. He did not acknowledge Kin in the least. The driver's skin was almost translucent from constant exposure and had even cracked open in a few places, exposing the copper and tubing below.

While the handiwork and general state of disrepair of this legacy was distasteful to Kin he did give quiet thanks at the same time. Any legacy this weathered would have driven this route at least a dozen times and would know to avoid any major bumps or potholes on their route that could lead to equipment damage.

Kin squeezed through the alley around the other side of the carriage and checked the last of the straps holding his equipment in place before finally climbing into the carriage. He pulled off his jacket and felt the warmth of the oil lantern inside. Before he closed the door he called out, "Driver! Proceed."

Without so much as a nod the driver gave a light snap on the reins. Kin felt the carriage lurch a bit as the two ghurz hauled against their harnesses. As they started to pick up speed Kin could hear the repetitive "thwap, thwap, thwap" of their long wet hair rising and falling against their sides.

"Curse the rain," Kin muttered, "and curse this whole city."

----------------

Leonysus could feel each drop of rain touch the skin of his face and he struggled to hold on to the sensation as each found its way down into his collar. The heat of his fingertips blazed in defiance of the icy deluge from above and he allowed them to rest on the skin of Charis' hips for another moment before allowing his eyes to meet hers.

"You know that I love you."

Charis looked up to meet his gaze and he was thankful that the rain masked his tears.

"Yes, Leo, I believe you do," she replied. She stood at arms length from him with one hand on his chest. Her other arm was tight against her side.

"I would do the same again," Leonysus whispered just above the volume of the rain.

Charis flashed a smile and gave Leonysus a soft push, breaking contact and allowing the cold to flow over his hands once again. "I know you would. As would I. But we both knew this would end badly, it was part of the appeal."

Charis had always been wiser than her years, a trait she no doubt inherited from her conniving father, Lanyan. What she lacked, if you could call the absence of evil "lacking", was her father's ambition. Instead she used her wit and charms to seduce and, in her own odd little way, help those around her. She had no shame, only confidence and a kind heart.

It was no wonder she had never told him of her father, who would want to be associated with a man such as him?

"Go," she said, "and be glad it was my father that tore us apart and not boredom." She drew the top of her blouse down just a bit and revealed a hint of flesh, "It is so much better to be left with wanting than wanting to leave, don't you think?"

Leo laughed and raised his hands to the sky. "Indeed! I suppose had I planned to leave I would have considered this weather a good omen. For some reason the stench of this city always seems fresher after a rain, at least I won't be here to smell it!"

Leonysus wanted to tell Charis that he would miss her but instead he turned around and made a sweeping gesture towards the small carriage that was in front of him, "Onward boys! We have country maidens to sully and my fine friend here has a heart or two left to break here in the city."

When he looked over his shoulder Charis had already turned and walked away. She called out as she left, "Enough flowery words, Leo! A simple goodbye is enough!"

He saw her disappear into the rain and muttered to himself, "Goodbye".