Chapter Two

TWO

“Saturdays are amazing,” Ava sighed happily as she sat with Charlotte out by her pool.Shesipped a bit of her iced tea and set it down on the end table between the ivory chaises she and Char were sitting on upon the marble design of the pool deck. “You know, after you’ve gotten your stupid chores done.”

   Charlotte agreed with a nod and a sip of her iced tea. “Totes. Hey, wanna swim? It’s getting uber-hot out here. And we cannot burn for tomorrow night’s debut!”

   “Char, I don’t even know if you’re going,” Ava said, pulling her Gucci sunglasses to the tip of her little nose. “I mean, if my mom says yes, then you can choose any mini from my closet. ’Kay?”

   “Alright. But why wouldn’t she say yes? She’s not as mean as your dad, that is definite,” Charlotte said, walking over to the edge of the pool.

   “Well, I’m not swimming now. I need a little extra bit of tan-time.” Ava said, pushing her glasses back up on the bridge of her nose and sitting back.

   “Suit yourself,” Charlotte smiled, jumping into the big pool. “Ah! This water feels so nice! You could feel it too if you swim!”

   “Later I will,” Ava smirked, picking up her bleeping BlackBerry and texting Lyle. “I did mention I’m practically Lyle’s girlfriend, right? Our love is blooming!”

   Char rolled her mocha eyes. “C’mon, you’ve told me only about eight-million times. Get over it.”

   Ava just laughed and kept texting Lyle about their date that night. She couldn’t wait, obviously! She’d been waiting for Lyle to ask her out practically for a year. Why did guys always leave chicks waiting? Why didn’t they just hike up their boxer briefs and ask them out already?

   She sighed happily again, not aware that a pair of black, almond-shaped eyes were stalking her from behind her white fence.

Charlotte sat on Ava’s bed, observing outfit after outfit after outfit for Ava’s date with Lyle. Everything looked okay to her, but Ava would throw a tantrum if Char told her the same opinion for each outfit.

   “Okay, the cropped leather jacket says ‘I’m not a good girl—I’m a bad girl who just hasn’t gotten caught yet,’ but the fuchsia camisole with the magenta cardigan and the plaid belt to match is completely Avadorable!” Char piped, ruffling one of the sleeves of the magenta cardigan.

   “Agreed,” Ava smiled, going to get dressed in the cute outfit in her walk-in closet. After she got the outfit on, she admired herself in her full-body mirror and smiled. This date would be a piece of cake to Ava. She’d been out with boys plenty of times. The only reason she had to be extra smokin’ tonight was because this was Lyle Bronson. Not just any girl got a chance with him.

   Ava walked out of her closet and over to her bed where Char was still sitting. “Love it or lose it?” she asked, striking a pose for Charlotte to look at her in.

   “Love it! Okay, and how about instead of those distressed jeans, you go for some…I don’t know, more preppy ones?” Charlotte suggested, lying on her stomach and sitting her chin in her hands.

   Ava smirked. “Good idea! Lyle will not be able to resist this,” she joked, sliding her hands down her body while Char laughed. Ava plucked out every pair of jeans in her closet till she found the perfect pair of dark blue MissMe Jeans from ninth grade. Sure, they were a year old, but MissMe never went out of style. She slid on the ultra-slim skinny jeans and patted the little jewel patterns on the butt. “This is so cute. You know Lyle will love me after tonight!”