Death Wish

The police officer looked me up and down, disgust clearly placed upon her flawless face.

Okay, maybe I haven't washed in a few days.

Make that three days.

I mean, it was understandable.

"Officer Jenkins will be escorting you back to your house to collect your clothes and then he will be taking you to your new home, Emma's right?" She questioned, placing her new manicured hands on her slightly thin waist.

I furrowed my eyebrows "But what about? What about-" I replied, unable to get the words out of my mouth.

It was too painful to think about it.

"All the evidence has been removed from the house. You won't be there long so there is no need for you to worry about the...the intruder," She smiled sadly, unable to come up with the right word for the person who killed my parents.

I nodded, not so convinced with her words.

---------

I slowly walked into the house that I once lived in.

She was right, there was no 'evidence' as she so kindly put it, to be found.

My house was just as it was.

My fathers dirty, tea stained cup still sat in the cold wash bowl and my mothers empty glass had been left on the kitchen table.

It was like nothing had ever happened.

-------

Knocking on the door broke me out of my trance.

"Miss you need to hurry up," Officer Jenkins shouted through the closed but not locked door.

"Yeah, just a minute. I still need to get some stuff," I replied, running my hands through my hair and carried on placing my things in the backpack.

I looked around the living room, smiling slightly at the one photo where my family was happy and actually acting like a family.

We rarely had those days, where my mother wasn't drunk and my father wasn't in his room.

But this moment was a special one, a moment that we managed to catch.

Louder knocking came on the door this time, making me jump.

"Yes, I know-" I started, quickly making my way over to the fireplace and placing the photo into my bag.

"What the hell-" I shouted, dropping my bag as my door was suddenly flying across the room, braking into pieces as it hit the wall.

"Well that darling," He drawled, pointing towards the broken door "Could have gone a lot better."

I stood there like a statue, my mouth nearly hitting the ground, not even looking towards the intruder that had come into my house.

He just broke my door. He literally just broke my door off its hinges.

What the actual hell had just happened?

"What the fuck do you think you're doing? Haven't you heard of, oh I don't know, a knock?" I screeched, my arms flying about as finally looked towards the man.

"I did knock but from what I have worked out, in the human world, it should take approximately six seconds to answer the door after a knocking has accured but in your case, it took seven," He replied, looking up at the door frame before stepping into my house, uninvited.

Was he crazy? Who even worked that stuff out, never mind referring to the world as the 'human world.'

"Well Mr. I know everything, if you had worked it out properly, some people actually walk slower than others so therefore it would take longer than seven seconds," I gritted out, running my hands through my knotted hair.