Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Janine’s Point of View

Things had not been going too well with Ryan recently. I’d noticed us slowly drifting apart over the last couple of weeks but I’d been so busy at work we hadn’t spent much time together of late. The last time we’d actually done anything as a couple was when we’d been invited to Katy Holmes’ club with Liam and the rest of the boys. That wasn’t exactly a good time to chat and reignite the connection we once had.

 I knew something was up between us, and I couldn’t help my nerves when he texted me earlier today asking me to meet up with him. Apparently we ‘needed to talk’. I was worried that he’d found someone else. Although at the moment my career was more important to me than having a relationship, I still really liked Ryan. We’d been dating for a while and I didn’t want things to end between us.

I was so preoccupied with thoughts and worries about Ryan that I didn’t even realise when someone walked into the room where I was busying cleaning my camera lenses.

“Hey!” I called to the guy. He was wearing a hoody and had his back to me but it looked pretty obvious that he had worked into this room by accident. “You can’t be in here.” I frowned as he spun around to face me. It took me a second to recognise who it was.

“Janine! Thank goodness it’s you, I’m lost.” Liam sighed and I couldn’t help but let out a laugh at the helpless expression on his face.

“Why are you here?  We weren’t told that you guys were coming for another interview?” I asked him as I led the way through the door and back down the long corridor to where the radio presenters and DJ equipment were.

“It is another interview, but we had to keep it quieter this time. There were too many fans waiting outside for us last time, it was dangerous. One of the girls could have got hurt, especially as there’s a main road nearby.” Liam told me, and I smiled at how much he obviously cared about the thousands of girls who he didn’t even know. His thoughtfulness warmed my heart and I felt happier at that moment in time than I had ever since I’d received the text from my boyfriend.

“Oh right, that’s sweet. How come you ended up in my photography room?” I asked, as I pushed one of the doors opened and turned left down the next corridor. “You’re quite a way from the others.”

“I’m not sure, I was just trying to find Paul. Apparently he was in the canteen that employees can use but I had no idea where that is,” Liam told me.

“Oh, so you want to find him or go to the others?” I smiled.

“Find him please, sorry that I’m taking you away from your work.” He apologised.

“Don’t be silly, I needed a break. I like spending time with you again anyway, it’s a shame that we kind of drifted apart since X Factor.” I murmured.

“Yeah, it is.” Liam agreed, and there seemed to be actual regret in his voice. “I didn’t stop thinking about you though. I wished I called you or something, but there was never any time.” He frowned.

“It’s okay, Liam, don’t worry about it.” I told him as I led him back the way we’d come so I could show him the canteen where Paul would hopefully be.

“So how are things between you and Ryan?” Liam asked, changing the subject and I sighed. I innocently turned left rather than right at the next turning, both ways would get us to the canteen but left was a significantly longer route. I wanted to let out my worry and pain to someone before I saw Ryan tonight.

“Not good. We haven’t been spending much time together recently. He’s been really distant lately too, I think he might be cheating on me.” I sighed again, feeling tears spring to my eyes as I said what I’d been worrying about out loud.

“Aww Janine I’m so sorry.” Liam replied, “Can I give you my number? You know, just in case you want to talk?”

I hesitated for a second. We were almost at the canteen and if my boss caught me exchanging numbers with one of the celebrities I was in trouble. “Sure, I have my phone with me right now.” I pulled it out of my pocket and gave it to Liam to type his number in.

“This is the canteen,” I told him as we stopped in front of the double doors. “I should probably be going now, don’t wanna get in to trouble.”

“Yeah, thanks for helping me.” He said with a smile.

“No problem,” I replied, “See you around.” I turned as he pushed open the doors and made my way back to the photos. It took me a second to realise I had a huge grin on my face and I shook my head to clear my mind. I needed to talk to Ryan and hopefully sort out our problems tonight, if I had Liam’s cute smile in my head that would not help at all.

~0~

“Hi Janine, you look beautiful.” Ryan told me as I arrived at the table in the restaurant we were having dinner at.

“Thank you,” I smiled at him, but I noticed at once how tense and worried Ryan looked. My smile dropped as I took in his body language and I wondered if I’d even be able to eat anything. He seemed to relax slightly as we ordered our food and I wondered how long both of us would avoid what he wanted to talk to me about. It wasn’t until we were half way through our main course when he cleared his voice and nervously began talking.

“Janine, I’m not sure how to say this.” He looked down at his napkin and started tearing it into little pieces of it. “You are beautiful and loving and funny and so many other amazing things that I look for in a girl. I’ve enjoyed every minute of the time we’ve had together but…” he swallowed and looked up to meet my eyes before looking down again.

“You found someone else?” I whispered, finishing his sentence for him.

“No! Kind of…not really, let me finish.” He told me and I raised an eyebrow, very confused.

“You know I said you were everything I look for in a girl? Well recently I’ve realised that, I don’t look for girls.” He told me, which did nothing to make me understand.

“What?” I questioned, putting down my knife and fork on the now empty plate.

“I’m gay.” He finally told me.

“WHAT?!”