Chapter One

"FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT."

    The world is only at your back when it can find a way to reap a benefit. When it comes to giving aid outside the comfort bubble of convenience, you begin to see who would take a bullet for you, and who would fire the shot. These were the types of thoughts that raced through Michael Asher Blacke's mind as he paused to wipe the blood dripping from his nose. He flew at the disgusting human in front of him that he once called his friend, fueled with the power of pure pent up rage. Fabian, the traitor. Fabian, the two-faced. Fabian, the sellout.

    "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT."

    The rest of the students just stood there. They watched and promoted the violence, some of them shouting directions to the two now extremely battered teenagers. Michael picked up Fabian by the collar of his shirt and hurled him against the lockers with a horrendous bang. He ran over and picked him up by the collar again, blocking his air flow. He had him pinned.

"Why, Fabian, why? You told me I could trust you."

Fabian gasped for air as he tried to pry Michael's hands away from his neck.

"Right," Fabian smirked. "I said you could trust me. I never said that you should."

"UgggGGHh."

    Michael threw him onto the ground and looked at him with disgust.

    "This isn't over, Fabian. But I'm smart enough to get away."

    Michael bolted from the scene of the fight as quickly as he could. He knew it wouldn't be long before some goodie two shoes ratted them out and a teacher broke it up. He walked quickly, put his hands in his pockets, and kept his head down.

    "Michael! Michael, wait up!"

    Michael glanced to see who was calling him. Some short girl was running after him. Presumably trying to make him go to the office. He turned to face her.

    "Can I help you with something? Can't you see I'm in a rush?" he said shortly.

    "Well, no, you can't help me with anything," she responded. "But you're not going to look inconspicuous to a teacher with a torn shirt, a visibly bruised collar bone, a scratched up forearm, and a bloody nose."

    "It's not that bad," he muttered.

    "Come on."

    She grabbed his wrist and started to pull him down the hallway and out the back door that leads to the parking lot. She pointed to the wall just outside the back entrance and said,

    "Sit down."

    "Listen, kid. I don't even know you."

    "Well if you wouldn't get into unnecessary fights," she explained calmly, "Then maybe you wouldn't have to know me. Now lemme see your arm."

    She swung her backpack off of her back and pulled out a first aid kit. She took out an alcohol swab and turned to face Michael.

    "Please sit down," she instructed.

    Michael sighed and slid down against the concrete wall, as the girl kneeled beside him.

    "Can I see your arm?"

    She began to wipe away the blood dripping from his forearm.

    "Wow, this is really deep. How'd that happen?" she asked.

    "He was holding keys," he answered, flinching as the girl continued to care for and wrap his arm.

    "Ohhh, yeah I can see that. Here, wipe your face with these."

    The girl handed him a packet of tissues, and he did as she instructed.

    "Why'd you hit him?"

    "Who, Fabian?"

    "Yeah. Why'd you hit him? I assume you're smart enough to know you're walking on thin ice at this school. So why'd you hit him?"

    "You wouldn't get it... It's, It's a matter of life or death. You wouldn't understand, kid."

    "I probably wouldn't," she said, still gently caring for his arm. "There, that should hold for now," she said as she stood up.

    "Thanks."

    The girl handed Michael a folded black zip up sweatshirt that she had in her backpack.

    "Of course! Here, put this on. It'll hide your torn shirt and all your bandages. It has a hood too, so you can lay low for a while."

    "Who's jacket is this? Your boyfriend's?"

    "No, my brother, Shiloh's."

    "Oh. Thanks."

    "My pleasure. Sorry, I've gotta run home."

    "Okay, I'll catch you later kid."

    "My name's Amelia."

    "K. Bye, Amelia"

    "Bye."