Chapter 5

Walking back into the sanctuary after a day of work I am greeted with the whines of the wolf. It was almost impossible to walk away from him this morning. Last night I ended up staying the night with the wolf, outside of the cage. I was going to be going home to a cold home anyways at least I had a friend to camp with. For that I earned a sore neck and pretty sore tailbone. It wasn't an ideal night to begin with. In the morning I called my brothers and they were kind enough to bring me food for not only myself but the wolf. I got a lot of weird looks when they came in.

I chuckled when the wolf growled at the pair, scared the daylights out of Abe. Mac hid his fear a little bit more. I had to explain what was going on, and they thought that I was nuts. Rolling my eyes at their reprimanding session, that was until one of them called me stupid for not talking to the family about it. And the wolf launched himself at the cage, rattling the hell out of both of them. I just snickered because of it. Then we went to investigate the house. And it is in need of a lot of repairs, a lot more than I was hoping for. Abe said that the foundation was in great condition and it has a beautiful structure.

It was good to hear that it had strong bones, but that just adds a lot more to fix up. Like the plumbing, for both the sanctuary and the house. I don't doubt that the HVAC units are going to at least need to be serviced. The two story home is set pretty far back from the sanctuary, so at least there is some kind of privacy from visitors. I do have to admit that the house has a lot of potential and I can't ignore the fact that it will make a beautiful home - at some point. Sadly I feel like that some point is going to be far in the future.

Walking back into the Sanctuary both Abe and Mac went on to explain everything that would need to be fixed. And that was a big sucker punch to the belly. The floors are ruined and they will need to be ripped out. Mac even suggested that the sub flooring might be damaged and will need to be replaced. My night was long but the day just seemed to be a lot longer. Walking through the door into the wolf's enclosure I manage to trip over the same spot of flooring that's buckled. Catching myself I turn and glare at the floor, mentally cursing it.

Hearing a soft yip, draws my attention back to the wolf. I give a tired smile. "Hey big guy, I know you don't want to be locked up here any longer. I promise you'll get to run free tomorrow." Walking to the back of the room, I slide away a panel and pull open the door that leads into a small outdoor enclosure. I watch as he makes his way outdoors and starts to move along the enclosure sniffing around. At one point he pauses and starts moving with a new found purpose. A soft growl can be heard as he makes his way, like he's following a scent. That of course sets me on edge as I watch his movements.

I watch as his hackles raise and I start gnawing on my lip slightly concerned as to what scent he's picked up. Pulling out the things I had bought not only for my dinner but for his. I start to cut up the steaks, since I couldn't go out and get a fresh deer for him, steak is going to have to do. Putting it into a bowl I grab the jug of water I had bought. This morning while inspecting the place I turned on a faucet and I didn't like what I saw or smelt. I was thankful that there was already water out for him, but I still want to replace it.

I look out at the wolf and see him still intensely sniffing around. Furrowing my brow I step closer to the window, pulling open the enclosure door. I watch more closely as he moves around the enclosure, sniffing for something. The soft growl that falls from his lips only raises more questions. It's not like I'm going to be getting a set of answers from him. I roll my eyes at myself closing the door and finishing getting ready to feed him dinner. Hearing my phone ring, I look down seeing Abe and Missy's picture lighting up the screen.

"Hello?" Leaning against the table I look over the room, it really needs to be cleaned at the minimum.

"Kim, Missy and I were talking, and we wanted to pitch you an idea." That worries me a bit coming from Abe, it's not that I don't trust him. He just has some really interesting ideas.