Voice inside my head

Chapter twenty-one: Voice inside my head (Emma's POV)

After we had dinner and everyone else got back, we built up the campfire to sit around and talk. I threw a couple of branches and a log into the pit before sitting down. 

"You okay? You look a little different?" Zoey asked while sitting beside. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," I shrugged. 

"Sure? You're grinning like a Cheshire cat," she huffed. 

"He kissed me," I mumbled a little more to myself but obviously she heard it. 

"Nick?" she gasped. 

"I'll tell you everything tomorrow, I swear," I muttered quickly, sealing my mouth shut when he came and sat beside me. 

"Hey," he smiled. 

"Hi," I smiled back. 

"Nick," Zoey nodded, looking at him knowingly. 

"Zoey," he nodded back at her with confusion written all over his face. 

"I will be right back," she stood up and went over to talk to Landon. 

"Did you tell her?" he questioned. 

"Did you expect me not to?" I questioned. 

"You're the one that wanted to keep everything casual and a secret," he gave me a pointed look. 

"She doesn't count," I waved my hand dismissively. 

"Hey," he nudged my shoulder with his. I turned to him in confusion but he didn't have anything to say, he just kissed me. A quick peck. 

"You're crazy. If someone saw that..." I trailed off while shaking my head and increasing the distance between us. 

"Then they'd think they were hallucinating," he shrugged, scooching closer to me. 

"I really hate you," I narrowed my eyes at him playfully. 

"You really don't," he smirked at me as the others sat down around the fire. 

We didn't bring grandparents here to camp, I'm not sure they could handle it so here we have just us. Mads, William, Finn, Allison, Zoey, Landon, Liam, Nick, a bunch of other cousins and me. Everyone was part of one conversation or another but not me. I was zoned out, watching as the flames got higher. 

"Oh, a little bonfire! Can I join?" 

All heads turned to that voice, most people confused but a handful of us knew who Rachel was. Mads, William, Zoey, Landon, Nick, and me. And we all hated her. I think. "Do we know you?" Allison asked. 

"Well duh, I'm Nick's girlfriend," she laughed while sitting down between Nick and Landon. 

"Um- no, you're not," he distanced himself, making me move over. 

"Nick, come on," she laughed scooching closer to him. 

"Rachel, you're not," he moved closer to me. 

"Nick, don't do this right now," she said, keeping her voice low. 

But he just shifted closer to me. 

"Okay, you shift any closer and you'll be sitting in my lap, Nick," I mumbled to him. He looked at me before standing up and moving over to my right, putting me between him and Rachel. "Are you kidding?" I asked him in disbelief. 

"Sorry," he shrugged. 

Rachel huffed before sticking her hand out, "I'm Rachel," she smiled. 

Is she dumb?