Chapter Five

Emma was obliging enough to keep watch as I examined Alice Wood's belongings. I knew that Miss Hunter would definitely frown upon my actions, but the case called for it. Right away, I found a small object wrapped in a linen cloth. Curiously, I wrapped it and discovered it to be a miniature of a Greek statue.

It showed a young lady. Her gown draped around her, concealing all that was necessary to remain modest. The model held a vase on her shoulder, though she was bending down as though she were about to scoop up water. It was a dull brown and felt oddly light in my hand.

"Where did she find this?" I said softly, turning it in my hand. "Why would she hide it in her room?"

"Did you find anything?" Emma asked.

For a moment, I wavered between telling her and keeping it to myself. There would be no way to get it out without her seeing it, so I decided to take a chance. "Yes," I said, turning around. I held the statue up so that she could see it better. "Have you ever seen this before?"

From the doorway, Emma frowned. "I've never seen it before. Do you think it's important? Why would Alice have something so fancy?"

"I don't know," I said in answer to both of her questions. For some reason, it seemed familiar, and I vaguely remembered Dr. Watson having made mention that one of Mr. Holmes' cases had involved statues. I couldn't put my finger on the details, though, so I pushed it to the back of my mind to work out later on.

"I think someone is coming," Emma hissed.

Swiftly, I closed the trunk and stood up. Holding the ceramic item in such a way that my skirts would hide it from view, I hurried to the door. Emma waved me towards the back staircase and I hurried to the steps as quietly as I could.

As I went down the narrow steps, I heard someone say, "There you are, Emma. What are you doing up here? Did you hear what happened—"

I didn't pause to hear what kind of gossip they would share. As I made my way for my room, I knew there was only one thing to do next. The statue was the only lead I had and I had the feeling that I was in over my head with the case.

Abby looked up as I entered the room. "You were gone longer than I thought you'd be. What were you doing?"

Pulling the statue into view, I handed it to her. "I wanted to learn all I could before the constable ruined any kind of clues. Alice had this in her room."

Astonished, Abby reached out and took the object from me. "What in the world? Why were you in Alice's room? How were you allowed in?"

"How else was I going to learn about her? She kept to herself, Mrs. White and one of the other maids said so. I needed to see her things to get an idea of who she was. And I found that wrapped in a cloth in a trunk. What do you think it could mean?"

My friend stared at the statue. "I haven't the faintest idea." She shifted her gaze to me. "Serena? What do you think you're doing?"

"I need to send a telegram," I said, putting my coat on. "I want you to keep that safe until I can work out whether it is significant or not."

"Who are you sending a telegram to?" Abby asked, her tone befuddled. Her eyes widened. "You're not going to be leaving because of this, are you?"

"Leaving? Why would you think that?" I buttoned the front of my coat. Turning, I went to where I kept my allowance hid behind the photograph of my parents. "No, I have a question and the only person who can answer it lives in London."

 "London?"

"That's what I said, Abby. Why are you repeating everything I say?" I glanced at her in concern as I pocketed some coins. "Do you need more tea to calm your nerves?"

"What I need is for you to be straightforward with me. You have been rushing about nonstop since...and I want you to tell me what you are doing."

To be honest, I was surprised to hear Abby say such a thing. She was normally so easy going and mild tempered. The shock must have shaken her up more than I'd thought. "I am sending a telegram to Mr. Sherlock Holmes," I said kindly. "He will know what ought to be done next."

There was little time to be lost. Once this situation was resolved, there would be little I could do to get to the truth. I may not have known Alice Wood, but there was a mystery to be had here. And the girl, whoever she was, deserved to have the truth known.

For a moment, my friend stared at me. "What ought to be done? We must leave such things to the constable!"

"From what I saw, Constable Miller was far too ready to declare Alice's death as a suicide," I said with as much patience as I could muster. I nodded at the statue as I pulled my mittens over my hands. "And maybe he is right. However, that makes me believe there is another answer."

"But why would Mr. Holmes care about this?"

Though I wished to be on my way, I sat on the edge of the bed. "I don't know, but you've read about his methods. Even small details can be important. Alice Wood may have had a connection to Mr. Holmes' case."

"But shouldn't you let Dr. Watson make that decision? In fact, why don't you try to find him before you send a telegram?"

 "I have the feeling Dr. Watson is a little preoccupied at the moment," I said, having remembered seeing the doctor at the church. "Besides, I have seen things the good doctor has not and can include those details in my message."

 Abby stared at me, her expression confused. "Nothing I say will dissuade you."

"I'm afraid not, my friend. But, you mustn't let it dishearten you. There are very few who can persuade me to change my mind once I have made a decision."

She shook her head. "I would say I hope you know what you're doing, but you always seem to know what you're doing."

Hesitating, I faced her. "I am sorry for what I said earlier," I said sincerely. I wouldn't blame her for still being angry with me. "I forget that you have not done all that I have done. I didn't think and I shouldn't have said it. Can you forgive me?"

Huffing, Abby rubbed her hand. "Serena, I'm...I'm not angry with you. I know you're smart. Probably the smartest person I know. And I won't say it doesn't make me feel like an idiot sometimes. Just...try to keep me involved. I don't like feeling like I'm being condescended to or left behind."

"I'm sorry." Those words felt meaningless. "I didn't realize I was having that effect on you." I took a deep breath. "I have the feeling there is more to this than what we see and not knowing the answer will drive me mad worse than Helen Davies' challenge already has."

Abby managed a smile. "Yes, I know. If you could just pause every now and then to remember that I am not as quick as you, that would be helpful. Now go before you get yourself into trouble again."